Alternatives to the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ???

Edit My Images
No
Any suggestions? I can't think of anything similar...

Is there even a lens with constant f/2.8 and IS in the same zoom range?

Is it the ultimate walkaround lens for a crop body???

And am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy one?? :LOL:

Hows the focus speed on both? I'm not expecting it to be USM speed, but it is reasonably good?

Any suggestions? I can't think of anything similar...

There isn't anything directly comparable. Even the Nikon equivalent doesn't have IS.

Is there even a lens with constant f/2.8 and IS in the same zoom range?

No.

Is it the ultimate walkaround lens for a crop body???

Yes.

And am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy one?? :LOL:

You can get f/2.8 cheaper. You can get the very good standard kit lens with IS a lot cheaper. But currently you can't get f/2.8 and IS anywhere else. It's not cheap though ;)

It is also a Canon lens, compatible with Canon's processing software that will increasingly be integrated in-camera, and I believe that will further marginalise third party brands in the near future.

Save yourself £400/£500 and get the Tamron or sigma f/2.8! Unless you absolutely need the IS, but I can't really see the necessity in this case. If you're after long exposure landscapes, you'll probably use a tripod anyway. I couldn't justify spending the extra on the canon, and I haven't regretted it at all. I don't miss the IS, I had it on the kit lens, not on the Tamron, and to be honest I haven't noticed at all! But if the IS is essential, you don't really have any options!

Chris

sigma 18-50 f2.8, or the tamron alternative. no IS but no biggy in my opinion.

i have the sigma 18-50 f2.8DC, its ok, again im not swayed by the IS as ive used it at gigs in very low light situations, i dont however find that the colours are particularly vibrant through this lens, but maybe im just comparing it to an L, its much much better than the kit lens, and the HSM motor is probably on a par with the canon USM focus motor.

cheap as chips as well, i think i paid £150 second hand for one off this forum

Back