Amateur Rugby Union (5th Attempt, at last good weather)

Well went out again today but the weather really got the better of me, it was really dark and raining so the camera remained tucked away for most of the game, thought that I would share a couple that I liked.

#13 - 1/500, f/4.5, ISO 1600

MWH038-20110205 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Going over for the try in style.

#14 1/500, f/5, ISO 1600

MWH041-20110205 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Kicking the conversion

The full set http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/sets/72157625985079708/

Interestingly I have started to be approached by people wanting to by prints of some of the shots, but I know that has more to do with the fact that this level virtually never gets interest from someone just there to take pictures so that is there focus rather than saying that my shots are brilliant and besides I am not that delusional

Matt
MWHCVT

Well went out today and I am pleased to say that the compared to previous weeks the light was quite good and conditions were generally quite favourable, I was able to get shutter speeds up to 1/2500, I will not post to many because I don't want to bore you but I would like to know you thoughts.

MWH030-20110212 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Shutter - 1/1600
Aperture - f/5.6
ISO - 800

I like the action that I captured in this one

MWH018-20110212 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Shutter - 1/2500
Aperture - f/5.0
ISO - 800

I was pleased with this image and astonished at the shutter speed that a bit of sun has allowed me to achieve.

MWH102-20110212 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Shutter - 1/1250
Aperture - f/5.6
ISO - 800

With this one I was please to capture the try but also I was able to put into practice the aspect of getting a low angle with this shot, thanks to a convenient slope just after the dead ball line..

For those that are interested here is the full set http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/sets/72157625910006769/

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and critique.

Matt
MWHCVT

Has anyone got any input or critique that they would like to add to my latest attempt, sorry if I am boring everyone but I really want to learn and for the first time there were good conditions to shoot in, and especially in the last shot I was able to get a low vantage point to shoot from.

Please let me know what you think, I am really keen to learn.

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi. I like #17 - the low view point makes a difference. Bright, contrasty light and dark kits don't make it easy, but I think its the best of the bunch. I like #16 but I'd be tempted to crop of the dark line at the top.

Hi. I like #17 - the low view point makes a difference. Bright, contrasty light and dark kits don't make it easy, but I think its the best of the bunch. I like #16 but I'd be tempted to crop of the dark line at the top.

Thanks Carol, I agree that #17 is the best of the three that I posted, the lower view point improves the image, the terrain helped me a lot with this image. I was nice to be able to get some quick shutter speeds in.

I am hoping for the same conditions next weekend as I have a special game to photograph next week because I the teams that are playing are both very close to me, one being the team my bother in law is the captain of and the other the club that my dad was a founding member of.

With #16 I agree and if someone wanted a copy of that I would take more time on the edit and clone in some grass into that area to make it a better photo because I think that a crop would ruin the image as you would loose part of the players.

Thanks for your thoughts

Matt
MWHCVT

Got to differ im afraid, if im honest it should never have left the flash card unless for the recycle bin, it shows nothing, nothing except some bloke touching the ball on the ground, has he just fallen? ive no idea, im gonna have a real stab in the dark and guess its a try but as you cant see any sign of a try line you'd never know

Sorry to be harsh but its true.

Got to differ im afraid, if im honest it should never have left the flash card unless for the recycle bin, it shows nothing, nothing except some bloke touching the ball on the ground, has he just fallen? ive no idea, im gonna have a real stab in the dark and guess its a try but as you cant see any sign of a try line you'd never know

Sorry to be harsh but its true.

Thanks, maybe I should have been higher up for this one, the unfortunate thing with this particular club is that rather than marking the pitch out with nice white lines they use poison to mark the lines this along with nice and long grass means that even with a higher vantage point the lines are not particularly visible if I am honest.

I have the critique tag because that is what I want, good honest critique, so if you believe it to be rubbish that is what I want you to say, don't suppose you have any thoughts on the other two that I have posted or some areas where you think that I could make improvements.

Matt
MWHCVT

16 shows some promise

13,14,15,17 are nothing shots for me.

hopefully that doesn't sound to brutal :)

13, good capture but facing the wrong was so a bin shot
14, semi decent stock shot if you didnt chop his hand off
15, not to my liking, too much dead space on the left
16, not bad, the frames before might haver been better though

16 shows some promise

13,14,15,17 are nothing shots for me.

hopefully that doesn't sound to brutal :)

Thanks Andy, don't worry about brutal, A) I have a thick skin and B) I have posted for critique because I want to learn and improve, how can I do that if you were not honest about your thoughts on my attempts

13, good capture but facing the wrong was so a bin shot
14, semi decent stock shot if you didnt chop his hand off
15, not to my liking, too much dead space on the left
16, not bad, the frames before might haver been better though

Thanks Gary, I will take your comments on board and try to improve my shooting

Matt
MWHCVT

Back