Amazon Prime increase

I think all members got the same email. What's your view on it?

I still think it's great value for what I use and knew it was only a matter of time before an increase was announced.

I think I let my stealth* subscription carry on an extra month in error, but used it to save on a delivery.

must go cancel, good of them to send a reminder.

*The kind of subscription you find you have when you have no desire to join Prime, but the “Welcome to Prime” email arrives in your inbox.

I think all members got the same email. What's your view on it?

I still think it's great value for what I use and knew it was only a matter of time before an increase was announced.
With you there, everything else has gone up so its not exactly a shock.

We buy a lot of stuff from Amazon with free Prime delivery so we get our money's worth from that alone. 86 orders in 2021 and 45 so far this year. I take advantage of free kindle books with Prime reading and also Prime Video occasionally.

My wife has a Prime account and I'll mention this to her. I hardly ever buy anything on Amazon, but she gets Kindle books and other 'stuff' so it may be worth it to her. I spend more than I should on books from other sources, so I can hardly begrudge her the monthly fee!

I have had Prime for a year or so - should have cancelled it much sooner, but this prompted me to do so when I saw it on the BBC News website; I did not get an email from Amazon.

In fact I think it is rubbish value for me, I don't buy a lot from Amazon these days, I actively try not to, but in any case I rarely seem to get so-called preferential delivery anyway, you can almost always get same or next day delivery even without Prime; the tv/movie content is almost entirely of no interest to me (I only joined it for Grand Tour and Clarksons Farm), but have found a handful of things to watch; interestingly some of those now require me to rent or buy if I want to watch again which is really annoying.

So I have happily cancelled, but will do a trial month now and again free when there is a specific thing I want to watch.

My son pays for my Amazon Prime. I did question him at one time as to whether it was still Value for Money and he claimed that the saving in delivery costs alone made it worth paying for the family licence. I must admit that it is convenient ordering some items (e.g. Ink jet Inks) and having them delivered the next day.

Dave

That's interesting as we use Amazon a lot and we've never had anything delivered later than advertised, be it next or same day.
Same here.
We're keeping it. Going there and back to the shops costs a fair bit in fuel these days.

I've used the "free trial" a couple of times when I wanted something in a hurry but for most of my purchases I just choose the free delivery option.

It no longer surprises me that even with without Prime, my purchases are, more of than than not, delivered the following day...

Amazon Prime delivery van on pavement outside school TZ70 TZ70 P1030511.JPG

I have found the opposite, items rarely get delivered on the next day even with Prime Delivery.
It was all good until fairly recently, I've had a few over a couple of months or so, delivered in 2 days, although its stated 1 day prime.

From 15th September the cost of Amazon Prime membership is being increased from £7.99 to £8.99 a month
Mines due in a couple of weeks, so I slide in under this, I'll leave as is and think about it next year.

I got the email and assumed it was a personal slight as I had just changed to an annual sub at the old rate :)

I order tons of stuff from Amazon. Prime video I do watch a reasonable amount. If I cancelled it I'd save a fortune as I don't think I would order so much stuff if I let it collect up into bigger orders rather than getting things as and when.

I got the email and assumed it was a personal slight as I had just changed to an annual sub at the old rate :)

I order tons of stuff from Amazon. Prime video I do watch a reasonable amount. If I cancelled it I'd save a fortune as I don't think I would order so much stuff if I let it collect up into bigger orders rather than getting things as and when.

I think you point about saving is very true, I have often gone to buy something but stopped when seeing the delivery charge and just leave it in the basket untill I have enought stuff for free deliver. When I have got the required amount I look and think, actually I don't need/want that anymore and remove it from the basket.

For the £95 I use in the last 12 months.
94 Prime Deliveries
223 Shows and Movies
1346 Songs

I also use the Photo backup on 2 phones.
Free Kindle book each month.
Free Morrisons delivery.

I think it's great value.

I had a hunch it would be going up. I do use Amazon quite a bit and have watched a few shows on Prime so will keep it going. They keep on nagging me to change to Business Prime but you don't get Prime shows with that.

For the £95 I use in the last 12 months.
94 Prime Deliveries
223 Shows and Movies
1346 Songs

I also use the Photo backup on 2 phones.
Free Kindle book each month.
Free Morrisons delivery.

I think it's great value.
:plus1:

That's the first increase in eight years and it's only a 'knicker' after all. Still amazing value for what you get IMO (if you use it).

Agree - that said, I only use it for delievries, no interest in prime or music so its a waste for me most of the time. A budget prime at fiver or less would be better

My wife has a Prime account and I'll mention this to her. I hardly ever buy anything on Amazon, but she gets Kindle books and other 'stuff' so it may be worth it to her. I spend more than I should on books from other sources, so I can hardly begrudge her the monthly fee!
If you link your accounts and set up an Amazon Household (takes about 2 minutes in the app) then you get Prime too. My wife got it as she buys a bit on Amazon, way more than me but I also get Prime through her membership by setting up a Household.

If you link your accounts and set up an Amazon Household (takes about 2 minutes in the app) then you get Prime too. My wife got it as she buys a bit on Amazon, way more than me but I also get Prime through her membership by setting up a Household.
Exactly what we have done.
Some weird and wonderful magazines on Prime reading

Like everything else for some it will be a price worth paying and for others not so, personally it saves me a fortune even with the price rise. I have prime and kindle unlimited £190 a year for free deliveries, movies, series and the near 100 books a year SWMBO reads annually and that doesn't include the magazines and periodicals we read.

Same with my wife. She tells me she gets women's magazines fre and books and I've sometimes got a magazine for her in the supermarket and they're £5 plus.

I wasn't aware of that. When I want something from Amazon I get my wife to use her Prime. If I'm getting her something ((a surprise ) then I have to use my own regular account

I pay annually and it's only £14 difference. You can't get 5 minutes of Sky for that (ok exaggeration but...).

If I go into town once a week the minimum parking charge is £1.50 for one hour
£2.50 for two hours

£78 per year for 1 hour parking
£130 per year for 2 hours

Covid risk in town mixing with humans :eek:

I will be sticking with Prime :)

We use Prime delivery a fair bit. Our nearest decent sized shopping centre is 30 minutes drive away so it makes sense for us to keep it going.

On the next day delivery, you need to make sure you select the Next Day option on the delivery page, often it defaults to 2 days without you noticing.

The film and tv content has been a bit hit and miss at times, but the new Lord of the Rings spin-off looks epic from the trailers. They’ve apparently spent a HUGE amount of money on the production so I wonder if the increase is to cover some of the costs?

On the next day delivery, you need to make sure you select the Next Day option on the delivery page, often it defaults to 2 days without you noticing.

For me, it usually defaults to "Start your month's free trial with next day delivery" and more than once, I've messed up and ended up with prime. As soon as the order arrives, I cancel prime.

For me the cost of Prime is worthwhile as it is one of the off-site storage places for both my original NEF files and their edited versions. It provides reassurance that should the house burn down (and my son's house burn down at the same time) I will still be able to recreate my photo library.

For me, it usually defaults to "Start your month's free trial with next day delivery" and more than once, I've messed up and ended up with prime. As soon as the order arrives, I cancel prime.
You don’t need to wait until the order arrives. Once you sign up for a month’s trial it lasts a month regardless of cancellation — unless they’ve changed that recently.

It works for us. We buy a lot from Amazon as does my daughter who lives with us. I use Amazon photos for back up and sometimes watch Prime video.

I use Prime a fair amount, I live rurally so it saves me fuel money plus having a child with disabilities it’s often more convenient!

I normally pay monthly but if you change your subscription to yearly before the increase you will get it at the old price for the next year - I’ve just done it!

For me the cost of Prime is worthwhile as it is one of the off-site storage places for both my original NEF files and their edited versions. It provides reassurance that should the house burn down (and my son's house burn down at the same time) I will still be able to recreate my photo library.

Good thinking. How much storage do you get?

Yesterday I went to buy something and the delivery was £3.99, or I could have a week prime trial for 99p

I took the trail purchased the item got my free delivery, then cancelled prime and got a 50p refund for unused prime.

Looks a strange business model to me

Martin Lewis's site says if you pay monthly but can stump up the money to pay annually, you can still get a year's Prime for the old price.

Dave

It's implied in the Email they sent out. Price only goes up in September.

I have an arrangement with a friend. £16 a year for the family prime delivery benefits. Next year will be £20. Considering the amount of stuff I order off Amazon and I order for my parents, it's well worth it. We rarely spend any time in shops these days: click+collect for weekly shops, online purchase for other stuff. Saves so much time and can make informed decision.

Also, I make extensive use of "amazon day" delivery rather than having deliveries ASAP. Less parcels, less pollution and less disruption.

Last edited:
Back