American Football - HACL

Name
Scott MacDonald
Edit My Images
Yes
Been on and off with the my photography, work mainly getting in my way, and as such I've not really contributed as much I would like/want to. However, this year I have my weekends back....which means all things going smoothly I'll be getting out and about to local Shinty, Football, American Football and maybe a few other events if I can.

So back to what I know, week 2 & 3 of the Community League in a rather sunny Inverness.

38652622720_5211b956d4_c.jpg

39752409234_0262381175_c.jpg

40418650922_207ce0604d_c.jpg

38651580540_096d261b28_c.jpg

25590975537_3d12dff77c_c.jpg

39752089674_f1d56811e6_c.jpg

#3 is the shot! (y)

Crop the lad out on the right in No.5. Tighter crop would clean it up nicely.

they all look pretty decent to me ...I ahve to shoot this sport now and then... find it very boring as they seem to be standing round talking for most of the game.. then when the play the whole object seems to be to pretend you ahve the ball (fools me haha).. so its not easy finding the shot... :)

#3 is the shot! (y)

Thanks @Kodiak Qc , shame I missed the actual moment of impact with the stiff arm....pretty sure #83 wished he missed it as well.

Crop the lad out on the right in No.5. Tighter crop would clean it up nicely.

Appreciate the CC @Seba , usually I would crop a lot tighter, I'm not 100% what my thought process was on this one:thinking:

they all look pretty decent to me ...I ahve to shoot this sport now and then... find it very boring as they seem to be standing round talking for most of the game.. then when the play the whole object seems to be to pretend you ahve the ball (fools me haha).. so its not easy finding the shot... :)

Many thanks @KIPAX, agree that it is a slow moving game. This is a bit easier than a full senior game as its only 5 a side (less bodies in the way), it also helps that I used to play the game so I can kind of second guess the play a bit.

#31 looks heavy and fully steaming! :jawdrop:

Scary thing is that this is the youth games, (age range 13-16) so he's going to get bigger and tougher, I fear for the defense.

Number 3 for me but 5 with the crop suggested above would top it. Looks a great sport to shoot

Thanks @wookie6262, its a good sport but as stated earlier there's a fair bit of nothing between the action.

Taking the feedback about #5, quick re-crop done.

39811791784_4952fb6a28_c.jpg

Like that, what's your position for these shots? They seem slightly on an angle, do you have enough range to shoot from an end and get the players running towards?

Like that, what's your position for these shots? They seem slightly on an angle, do you have enough range to shoot from an end and get the players running towards?

Thanks Gogster. I tend to shot from the sidelines, roughly 10 yards ahead of the line of scrimmage and then move accordingly with the game, only when a team gets close to the end zone then I’ll tend to move around to the end so that I’m facing up the field as the attacking team heads to me.

The lack of range (using a 70-200 at the moment) is a major factor since the playing field is 100 yards iirc, and offence starts on their 10 yard I would miss a fair amount just shooting from one end. However another reason is this was a youth game andthere’s considerably less players on the field so the game is a lot lest cluttered than a senior game, so there’s the upside from shooting from the sides.

I hoping to change over systems from the Sony to one of the other 2, most likely to Nikon as I may be able to get a 2nd hand D500 from a mate and then get the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens, just need to fund it without selling body parts…..

'Tis the life of a photographer - how much of my body can I sell and still take photographs effectively!

Back