An Orchid

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
My first shots of a flower..... :D
Tired & couldnt sleep (on nights) sun out flower opened so here are the results.
(50mm f1.8 hand held)
What do you think CC please

No1 Bit bright I think
Orchid.jpg

No 2
Orchid3.jpg

No3 Into the sun and tweaked a bit I think (Tired ready for work :nono:)
Orchid21.jpg

Dont just look comments welcome, how else am I going to learn :D
(Flaming eck Birdies last week and flowers this what next :shrug: :geek: )

I like the lighting on the first shot best.. .but it is a bit overexposed and the whites are blown out.

I dont personally like the back lit one (no.3) but no doubt lots of people will! (y)

I prefer number 2 - the first is too light and I'm not keen on the backlighting. Nice shot ***.

Hi Janice thankyou for your comment. (y)
I tried to use curves to correct it but it changed colour ??

Glitter & Digi Widgi Thankyou also for your comments so no2 is the one (y)

I was not too sure about the backlit one and now I know :thumbsdown:

Thanks again

You need to diffuse that light a bit, calm it down, its too harsh/intense.
#1 I like best because it keeps detail in the buds/stem.
White flowers are difficult to maintain detail in, its very reflective and the reason its blown.
Expose for the white petals, get them correctly exposed and with all the detail, and the stem and buds you can experiment with adding light.
Theres some funny colours going on there, make sure you use only one form of light...

You need to diffuse that light a bit, calm it down, its too harsh/intense.
#1 I like best because it keeps detail in the buds/stem.
White flowers are difficult to maintain detail in, its very reflective and the reason its blown.
Expose for the white petals, get them correctly exposed and with all the detail, and the stem and buds you can experiment with adding light.
Theres some funny colours going on there, make sure you use only one form of light...

Hi Joxby Brilliant info thanx (y)
OK what should I use to diffuse the light with I have not done this type of shot before.
By adding light could I use a reflector something like white card perhaps ?? (maybe a colour card)
Yes there was only one form of light used

Basically all I did was to take the Orchid out side on a bench near some green trees got a little lower than the plant waited for the wind to drop and shot off 8 frames
then moved the plant so it was back lit and shot off a further 6
Would it be helpfull if I post the original frame ??
(its amazing what tiredness does to you...... zzzzzzzz)

You dont say where the black background came from if it was shot outside:cautious:
Basically, this type of shot on black is more easily done in studio, you can't beat natural light but you must be able to control it if you are to keep the background black and the white flower highlights under control.
Outside, light is coming from every direction, its very difficult to keep a black background black.
For "studio" read "anywhere indoors with a light source you can control somewhat", window light is fine and a reflector can help with the darker areas of the plant.
You can use tracing paper, anything opache & white just to dull down/take the edge off the harshness/intensity.
You will probably need to use a tripod and shutter release cable.
I have this identical orchid, it is the best £1 I ever spent on a plant, it flowers every 2 months without fail and its only in 2inch of muck:shrug:
I've shot it many times, but I must have lost a few folders, I can only find some experimental backlit shots of a flower head.

for some reason i cannot see no2:thumbsdown: from what i can see which is 1&3 i like no3 I like no3 (y) next time try and get some sleep:LOL:

Thankyou for the comments Cuddy.
Joxby hello again, the background was the green trees.
And your lucky my Orchid flowers once a year ??? This is its second showing......
Ok got all that info, I will need to get to a art shop for some card. And natural light is no problem. :D (y)
What type of studio light as a starter would you (or anyone) recomend :shrug:
Pokey sorry I moved the file, I have restored it.
(nope sleep me & nights dont work 4 hrs IF Im lucky)

Flash is very controlable
Any table lamp with a tugsten lamp will do, but you must set your w/balance for tungsten and not have any other light in the room.
Or a table lamp with a daylight balanced lamp in it.
Use reflectors for bounce and dark cards for masking off light.
The main thing is to try and get diffused or bounced light, it has to be subtle, nothing direct or you'll be struggling to control highlights and maintain detail in the darker areas.

i think ive got a little inspiration from these shots and just done some orchid shots
and im very happy with the outcome .(y)

thanks again for showing me that it's not all feathers:D

cheers jason :wave:

Joxby, A flash gun is next on my shopping list.
I suppose I could turn down the power on my built in one and try fill in (must read my camera book), dont use flash much (apart from the family thing). And I`ll look out for daylight lamps (y)
ok Im off to do a search for the nearest art shop for card. Thinking of large sheets of matt black, gloss (shiny) gold, white and a transparent sheet for diffusion (y)
And I`ll have a search on the internet for making up a light box, if thats the right word, suppose Im going to have to get a close up lens of some sort :| (any ideas....cheapish)
Thanx for the info...... think I might go back shooting birdies :LOL:

Hi Jason & Andy Thanxs for the comments (y)
Jason its not all feathers (but I have some more to come):D and after this next session in the art shop and local lamp store & camera shop for a flash it wont be too many flowers either :LOL:
Just trying as much different stuff as possible just to give me an insight into other peoples shots and what they go thro to get THAT SHOT :bang: :shrug:
And of course I might even like being a spotter err sorry twitcher :cautious: & flower thingy type person :naughty: :LOL:

Gibbo, I like all three. each has it's own merits in my eyes.

Bird's and flowers, whats next getting the gibbo treatment?

Looks like you have been getting some good advice already :)
Agree diffusing the light will help.

First one without the blown out detail would be my choice.

Lady Pitstop thankyou for the kind comments, Im getting a very mixed view of the back lit one it must just be a personal thing, I was not too sure about it myself and as I have not shot flowers before I thought Id try other ideas and show a mixed selection.
Geordie69 thanx for the comments, what am I getting myself into eh! Birdies and flowers (spotter & flowerer :LOL:)
Well Im trying out as many different aspects of photography as possible just to see what is involved (but mastering none:crying:)
Tried some motor sport & white water canoeing last weekend, I did like the WWCanoes (y)
RobertP again thanx for the comments, I have a bit more work to do but Im getting the general idea with the lighting.
I took a trip to the local art shop for card and they did not have anything I wanted :| later this week Im told.....
Im after matt black, gloss gold or orange & white. Oh and tracing type paper for the diffused look
Thanx again (y)

Hi Gibbo :D
im a big fan of the second one, the lighting is lovely and subtle, really lovely to look at! the first i find a bit harsh, especially the lighting of the white part. the third i also like but not as much as the second. all just imo of course :)

Hello HanC Thanx for your kind comments. Always appreciated
Once I get the card and paper Im trying that same shot again, try setting it up a bit better.....

Back