And, We're Off.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Decided to put my KFs in the Wild and Free forum this year as I'm hoping it will be image heavy and maybe not just with Kingfishers. That said, this could be the shortest thread ever if it doesn't work out, this is proper wildlife, so who knows? See it as a tales from the riverbank type thread.

I was out on the river last week and also a new location, on private land, that has huge potential, no people and I have permission. All it needs is a Kingfisher on it, I'm hopeful, as it's early days yet and it's a fair way up that river. I have found a Badger set already though, so I'm hoping to investigate that later in the year, we'll see.

I returned to 'my' patch (from the last few years) yesterday though, and where the bulk of my Kingfisher images came from last year. There were no KFs there last week, but within a few minutes yesterday, I saw the tell tale blue arrow bombing down river, away from me, after flying straight past me. The rush I get from this is nuts, I immediately felt happier with life. I followed a tree line, keeping it between me and the river and then I popped out the other side of it, near to where I'd thought the KF had landed. It had.

Over a 4 hour (ish) period, I saw multiple fly pasts of Kingfishers and I'm sure, 3 different birds over a mile or so stretch. I know for sure, the one in the image below flew up river not long after the image was taken and I heard another KF calling it, which would be the female, so at least 2 birds. The other one I saw about 3/4 mile downriver, so highly likely a different bird altogether.

I was carrying my R7 with the 100-400mkii, it's a great walkabout combo and not all that heavy. I carried it over 4 miles yesterday, no problem. The image below was taken from the opposite river bank, the KF sat there for easily 5+ minutes , blissfully unaware I was there, or very dumb.

Anyway, first one is in the bag, not a wall hanger but it is the first from this year, now to untangle it over the coming months.

(image taken under a Schedule 1 licence issued by NatureScot).

tp.jpg

Last edited:
Hope the season goes well for you this year. Looking forward to seeing the results.

A good start Dale (y)
I'm looking forward to see what the coming year brings.

If this is the shortest thread ever I'll first eat my hat

then I'll have to have a private chat with you buddy ;) :LOL:

All the luck in the world Dale, ..you 'll narrow the need for luck by graftin'so hard mate, but we all need a snag of luck

ya never know mate by breeding season it might just stop raining if I have to eat a hat right now it would be more a suck than a munch I have no idea what that means to kingy but it must be so hard to hunt...........
hope it is easier than last matey ,but then if it was easy would we go back?

best always bro

stu

Hope the season goes well for you this year. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Best of luck Dale (y) TFS.

A good start Dale (y)
I'm looking forward to see what the coming year brings.

If this is the shortest thread ever I'll first eat my hat

then I'll have to have a private chat with you buddy ;) :LOL:

All the luck in the world Dale, ..you 'll narrow the need for luck by graftin'so hard mate, but we all need a snag of luck

ya never know mate by breeding season it might just stop raining if I have to eat a hat right now it would be more a suck than a munch I have no idea what that means to kingy but it must be so hard to hunt...........
hope it is easier than last matey ,but then if it was easy would we go back?

best always bro

stu

Cheers everybody.

A long way to go with it again this year. Just seeing them on Saturday though, immediately lifted my mood and to get a recordyish type shot was also a bonus. I got some video too, just about a minute's worth, over 2 videos. I had time to change a video setting as the camera was in slow motion and then I got 30 seconds or so at normal speed.

It started later than this last year, it was into April before I saw my first KF. I'm quite sure they go further down river to over winter, maybe even to the estuaries, which are not all that far away and then come back up river to breed. I'm going to watch for a while and leave them settle in before I attempt images and it may be a while yet but hopefully, more to come. (y)

Last edited:
As promised, it's not just about Kingfishers this year.

I didn't hear or see a single Kingfisher over the weekend but the river had been in spate and still is to an extent, so I'm not suprised they are elsewhere at the moment.

I did have a decent afternoon on Sunday though, particularly with the Stonechats. Lovely little birds.

Mr. and Mrs. Stonechat. by Dale, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've been busy. I've also had a licence ammendment that allows me to be at another nest site. I have though decided to remove one site from my licence as it isn't viable there now due to erosion.

I have nailed down the nest entrance at the new site. I saw both birds there today, using the entrance. I didn't stay there long, despite being licenced to be there. It's a sensitive time right now and I left them to it. The other site, I have been licenced at for 4 years now but the last 2 years of that, the site was inactive regarding a nest. The Kingfishers are there this year though but I'm yet to locate the nest exactly. I was just heading away from this site today when I heard a Kingfisher, then another. I retraced my steps, following the sound and finally saw one of them, my third sighting of the day, including the other pair.

Still a work in progress, now to get them in front of my lens properly.

(image taken under a Schedule 1 licence issued by NatureScot).

IMGC4062 tp.jpg

Last edited:
Great news Dale. - The Kingfishers have not arrived at my lake yet, but should arrive in around 6 weeks time......can't wait to see them again!

Cheers Glynn, I'm hoping for a more active year this year.

Good luck with yours. (y)

Back