Anderton Boat Lift

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
A fascinating piece of Victorian civil engineering, a machine designed to lift boats between the Trent & Mersey Canal and the River Weaver in Northwich, Cheshire.

Critique and comments would be much appreciated, be as direct as you like, I won't be offended.

Anderton Boat Lift 2 by Chris S B, on Flickr

Anderton Boat Lift 10 by Chris S B, on Flickr

Anderton Boat Lift 7 by Chris S B, on Flickr

Anderton Boat Lift 8 by Chris S B, on Flickr

Anderton Boat Lift 12 by Chris S B, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and your comments.

Chris

Shows the equipment of very nicely and some nice compositions particularly through the cogs and using the metalwork to frame the shots.

3 & 4 for me, the images through the cogs are excellent, pity about the shadow at the bottom of 3.

Dave.

Thanks for the comments and feedback, Steve, Paul, Dave & David - much appreciated.

I hadn't noticed my shadow, but now you have pointed it out it's going to bug me!

I chose B&W for most of the shots as most of the structure is black, with lots of dark shows and little colour - it was interesting to work on getting the exposure right.

It's well worth a visit, especially paying a tenner to take the guided tour that allows you to climb to the top of the lift.

Thanks guys,

Chris

Thanks Toby & Rich, I appreciate your comments.

The B&W seemed to have been well received and I think the colour one is rather weak by comparison. It was a good trip and a useful learning exercise - exposing for the gears with a mix of black and white, with little in-between.

Chris

Back