Android Camera ! Close but no cigar.

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
For years I have been saying to anyone who would listen

" The problem is they keep making phones that can do everything under the sun but the camera is always a low end compromise, what if I never use 60% of what the phone does ? So instead of making a great phone that takes mediocre photos why doesn't someone make a great camera that makes phone calls ?"

Well technology rolls on and you can squeeze so much into a small phone now that both of the above should be possible. So has it happened ? Well almost with the Nikon s800C. It does all of the above and more WOOHOO (y).......Oh wait a minute Mr Nikon.... you added all the functionality of a smartphone to a top end compact but you forgot one little thing :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: a microphone and sim card !! DOH!

Idiots, what were they thinking. Almost perfect.....Almost.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/47114/nikon-coolpix-s800c-android-camera-pictures-and-hands-on

OMG. Just announced (literally since I posted the above ) a Samsung unit similar to the Nikon but with android 4.1, 3g and 4g and 8 gb onboard ,ouch ! Take that Nikon . However guess what ? Yep still no ability to make a call. This is such a missed opportunity by these numpties. So you go out for the day, you have your iphone /android smartphone AND your camera with you ... Do you see where I'm coming from? Add phone functionality and the smartphone is redundant. This makes sense for Samsung I suppose they want to sell you there camera and there galaxy phone. So just think what a coup this could be for Nikon/canon who don't sell smartphones.

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2012/08/29/GALAXY-Camera

Personally, I think the market for a CAMERA/phone from the likes of Canon or Nikon would be limited, as it would likely be mainly togs who would be interested. Whilst that's a sizeable market, it's not a huge market. The problem I think is that your average punter (Joe Bloggs) is unlikely to choose Canon over Apple, or Nikon over Samsung.

What I've always thought would be massively popular would be if Nikon or Canon licensed their imaging technology Apple, HTC and the like to create a 'dream team' camera phone.

The cameras on phones are getting better and better.

The camera on the htc one is supposed to be really good and have seen some good shots taken with an iphone.

I understand why they have done it simply you can click and share photos to social media instantly.

You could just buy this and buy a really small phone with limited functions, at least the battery on the phone would last days.

It would be suicide for companies to make these devices into phones as well because the markets for smartphones AND cameras is huge so by not doing it you need to buy both.

Spoony said:
The cameras on phones are getting better and better.

The camera on the htc one is supposed to be really good and have seen some good shots taken with an iphone.

I've got a one x and the camera is pretty good, it also has a built in hdr mode but the pictures are noisy when viewed on anything bigger than my phones screen!

Last edited:
nickjohnwatson said:
It would be suicide for companies to make these devices into phones

Not for nikon or canon it wouldnt. They don't make smartphones of any description.

The camera on the Iphone 4S is good enough to make a small compact obsolte anyway - so i don't see the need personally

if you want a decent camera (with zoom, manual control etc) then you take a camera - if all you want to do is take the occasional snap theb the camera on a smart phone is good enough

big soft moose said:
The camera on the Iphone 4S is good enough to make a small compact obsolte anyway - so i don't see the need personally

if you want a decent camera (with zoom, manual control etc) then you take a camera - if all you want to do is take the occasional snap theb the camera on a smart phone is good enough

Fair comment but I doubt that the iPhone is equal to a £380 Nikon compact, equal to sub £100 compact maybe. So not really a like for like comparison. The point I am trying to make is that nowadays they often add technology to stuff not because it's useful but simply because they can. Can Opener with mp3 player anyone ? Lol.

Anyway point is its not a stretch to add the functionality and for those of us (me for instance) who don't have thumb cramp and spend our lives walking around with heads bowed constantly texting and who don't consider a phone as an extension of our personalities and who just use it to make the odd call/text then it would be great . I spend more time with a camera than I do with a phone. I am bemused by people's inability to function in society without there mobile permanently in there grasp.

So as you rightly say

" if you want a decent camera (with zoom, manual control etc) then you take a camera - if all you want to do is take the occasional snap theb the camera on a smart phone is good enough"

It's just that I want to do it the other way round, I don't think that's unreasonable.

Anyway point is its not a stretch to add the functionality and for those of us (me for instance) who don't have thumb cramp and spend our lives walking around with heads bowed constantly texting and who don't consider a phone as an extension of our personalities and who just use it to make the odd call/text then it would be great . I spend more time with a camera than I do with a phone. I am bemused by people's inability to function in society without there mobile permanently in there grasp.

A man after my own heart. Well said

There's no decent cameras in phones - except for the Nokia Pureview 808. It's good because it has a big sensor, good lens and clever processing. The iPhone 4S and Galaxy S3 have great cameras, that take great pictures, but only in absolutely perfect conditions. Ever tried using an iPhone 4S camera in a nightclub? Pure mush. A crappy little sensor and LED flash doesn't even cut it for social snaps.

The thing that people need to note with the new samsung is that its built on a much newer version of android than the nikon camera - I can't believe they are launching with an OS that's well over a year old.

Being android, this thing can be hacked to bits and people can ADD features to the phone - that's what makes it exciting.

It's worth noting that as it has a mic and 3g connectivity, you'll almost certainly be able to use this to make calls via SIP.

Noopz said:
It's worth noting that as it has a mic and 3g connectivity, you'll almost certainly be able to use this to make calls via SIP.

Good point. The Nikon only has wifi connectivity I believe so that's not so handy as the Samsung but your right the mic is used for video and the potential for VoIP with the right app is possible. Not a full sim card phone with all the benefits that entails but your right it has potential. Watch this space eh?

Totally agree re. The iPhone camera, my son has one and it can produce reasonable 'snaps' in perfect conditions, but a replacement for a full fledged compact ? Not a chance.

Last edited:
You can just imagine, out in the wilds tracking a big cat ready to get that perfect shot and your mrs calls to tell you the dinner is on the table. Ok, a bit extreme, but the first thing I do when I'm shooting is put my phone on silent. I always take it in case of emergencies but so far never had to call for help. I've not faced a lion at thirty yards yet though, so there's always a chance lol.

Back