Animal Headshots

Not sure how I missed this thread Adam

I always have mixed emotions when I look at zoo photographs but you've a lovely set here.

The Mandrill shot is the pick of the bunch for me although a special mention must go to the Nuthatch.

PS

Thanks for taking the time to add the camera settings.

Reactions: ACW
Not sure how I missed this thread Adam

I always have mixed emotions when I look at zoo photographs but you've a lovely set here.

The Mandrill shot is the pick of the bunch for me although a special mention must go to the Nuthatch.

PS

Thanks for taking the time to add the camera settings.

Thanks for your comments Phil,

I know the feeling, without me writing an essay and getting too passionate about it, some Zoos I've been to have left me literally speechless and never visiting again or posting the photos for that matter.

However, it is nice to see those that really care about conservation, and those where the animals look / act like they are happy / at ease. Whilst it's not as good as them being wild, in some instances the huge funds generated by said premises can positively affect many of the species still living in the wild. That said, if we are going to cage them, the animals need to be the priority. It reassures me slightly when I see Zoos with exhibits closed because the mother is feeding, or various other activities where the animals don't need prying eyes.

Absolutely Stunning set, you have some awesome captures here and such lovely sharpness and colour... simply wow!

Every single one of those is absolutely outstanding :)

I hope I get half as close to shots like those when I progress!! The sharpness on the facial features in every one is incredible!

Some lovely shots, particularly like the white tiger.

Thanks for your comment Simon, that was the first animal headshot I did (about 18months ago) and that's what got me into it!

Simply amazing.

Thanks Anthony!

Fantastic photos. I love them all especially the lion with the fresh battle scar.

Thank you Darren, there were two big males in the enclosure, so no guessing where it came from! Looked painful.

Absolutely Stunning set, you have some awesome captures here and such lovely sharpness and colour... simply wow!

Thanks for your comment Cg_Girl, they are all (bar a couple) with my 7D, I've set the colour settings in camera as 'Vivid' to give a bit of a boost :) picked up another camera on standard colour settings recently and realised what a difference it can make to the straight out of camera shots.

Every single one of those is absolutely outstanding :)

I hope I get half as close to shots like those when I progress!! The sharpness on the facial features in every one is incredible!

Thank you jd26, I appreciate your comment! A lot of it came down to patience, and waiting for the animal to be in the right position. A big part of the sharpness came down to watching the shutter speed carefully (and the lens of course), for each of the shots in this thread, I won't tell you how many ended up facing the delete button!

Two more of my favourite young primates:

"No one is watching me so I'll just pick at my feet!"

Young Hamadryas Baboon
by ACW#, on Flickr
Singapore, Singapore

Exposure 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 700 mm
ISO Speed 1600

Last edited:

Young Orang-utan

Exposure 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture f/6.3
Focal Length 700 mm
ISO Speed 1600

Grey Crowned Crane

Exposure 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture f/3.2
Focal Length 200 mm
ISO Speed 100

What a cracking set of images.
A couple of them seem to loose a little something due to the crop, but they remain strong images anyway.
I'm drawn back to the white tiger and the first lizard as favourites.

Wonderful collection of images! Would make a great coffee table book!

What a cracking set of images.
A couple of them seem to loose a little something due to the crop, but they remain strong images anyway.
I'm drawn back to the white tiger and the first lizard as favourites.

Thank you Ruth. I do agree with you that some subjects suit close ups more than others, thought I'd better treat them all equally though ;). Working on a pile of Giraffe and Elephant images but just can't get a 6x4 crop that looks even remotely viable due to their funny shaped heads!

In case you were interested; the White Tiger belongs to Sigfried and Roy (who have sadly just last week lost the 'infamous' tiger that 'attacked' Roy on stage).

Wonderful collection of images! Would make a great coffee table book!

Thanks for your comment Bethy, I've put a couple in a general photobook I gave to someone, but I guess a book just with animals for my living room gives me a good excuse to get out and do some more shooting! :)

Back