animal sanctuary shots

Name
Grace
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had my d5000 for nearly a year now, and feel like I've made some progress- but could I have feedback on these shots please?

I'm always looking to improve, and have found advice given here really useful before- so be brutal! I'm aware that they're not great, but unless you make the mistakes, how can you learn!

Thanks

d99d05eb.jpg

4d0e160b.jpg

60174ce5.jpg

Last edited:
#1 looks very tight in the frame and soft
#2 slightly better but the eyes just don't "pop" for me :shrug:
#1 like the composition but not close enough
Just my opinion :thinking:

Had a go at the goat, hope you don't mind

goat3.jpg

He's got strange eyes. If you want me to delete it I will.

no, please don't delete! He does indeed have strange eyes!

The softness of the first one also bothers me- I took it without a flash as all I have is on camera flash. I've tried a few flash guns, but am waiting until I can book onto a course on how to use them before I purchase one- would using a flash fix this or could I have adjusted my settings on the camera itself? The stable she was in was very dark so I tried to switch the ISO and this was the best of a rather poor bunch.

Thank you for your comments, I'm going to go back again and will bare your comments in mind when I do.

29eb3754.jpg

Do you think this processing is better? I did nothing to the original- it was straight out the camera.

A nice little set Grace, I would not be too hard on yourself as despite the high ISO and a lower than normaly advised shutter speed #1 has turned out relatively well. Yes the onboard flash will help you out in situations like this but then you might well have ended up with strong shadows being cast against the white wall or even blowing the whites on the pony :shrug: Did a quick edit of #1 for you with a touch of brightning up and extra sharpening for web display. If that last one of the Goat is out of camera then that just seems like a white ballance issue to me, but no the edit is much better.

d99d05eb.jpg

sorry- I missed this at the time!

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and feedback and edit!

I love your edit- will look into the white balance.

i like shot 2 the most out of the three pics.... youve got its attention...

the horse photos dont seem churpy enough and have a disinterested and depressed feel to them in my opinion (not that i know anything about horses) its just something with the attitude of the pics???

Back