Another 550D or 1D Mk1

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys! I own a Canon 550D and have a few weddings to shoot this year. I have a nice little selection of lenses too but I want to get a second camera as a back up. I have a 70-200mm f4 USM L and a 50mm f1.8 but I also plan on getting a 17-40mm USM L.

I have my eye on a Canon 1D Mk1 so I can have a full frame (I have a limited budget hence the choice of an oldie) but with the sensor being only 11mp vs my 550D's 18mp would I be better just getting another 550D or is the difference still huge in terms of image quality etc.

Incidentally, on ebay a used 1D Mk1 is going for roughly the same as a new 550D

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with the original 1Ds. Too old and the menu system/iso selection method etc you'd probably find obtuse if you've only used consumer models. Be aware you're saying 1D which is the very old 4 megapixel camera with a 1.2x sensor. Not full frame.

I'd recommend a 1D (not s) Mk2 or N if you're really hankering for a pro model, or a 5D classic for a similar price and get full frame with smaller/easier to use layout.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with the original 1Ds. Too old and the menu system/iso selection method etc you'd probably find obtuse if you've only used consumer models.

I'd recommend a 1D (not s) Mk2 or N if you're really hankering for a pro model, or a 5D classic for a similar price and get full frame with smaller/easier to use layout.

Original 1D's are still awesome cameras, i miss mine a lot.. IF you can get it for a good price(400ish) then go for it, still capable of making awesome pictures.

I wouldn't bother with the original 1Ds. Too old and the menu system/iso selection method etc you'd probably find obtuse if you've only used consumer models. Be aware you're saying 1D which is the very old 4 megapixel camera with a 1.2x sensor. Not full frame.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251007523353?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
11 MP :)

You can't blame Simon really, you do say "1D mk1" in the title. The 1DS mk1 is a completely different camera.

5D classic for sure. I have a 1Ds also and it is SLOW. I mean REALLY SLOW. Not to mention heavy, cumbersome menus, really awful screen and did I mention that it's SLOW? :D

5D classic for sure. I have a 1Ds also and it is SLOW. I mean REALLY SLOW. Not to mention heavy, cumbersome menus, really awful screen and did I mention that it's SLOW? :D

I saw a review of the original 5D on YT and it wasn't good :( Up until then I was actually toying with the idea of that camera. Plus I've seen loads and loads of people complaining about the mirror falling off

The mirror is a pain but it happens less in this country. It's the humidity in some climates that ruins the adhesive that sticks the mirror to the mechanism.

And if it does happen, it's a free fix anyway.

The image quality you'll get from it will far out weigh any age related features/performance issues you might miss from the 550D.

5D will be better in low light than either the 1Ds or 550D, in terms of noise at least...

Back