another boiler thread

Name
Caroline
Edit My Images
Yes
anyone know anything about

Stelrad ideal wlx gas boiler?

a quick google suggests it could be upto 25 years old , not saying that is bad but i reckon it aint going to be the most efficient of boilers :)

thanks

british gas have fitted an electronic timer to it. timer looks new as well ...

but its an ok heating system?

is it going to be used by a family , single person or what , lots of going in and out the house , people in all day , people out all day , lots of questions that can make it good or bad in my opinion , some like combi systems , i prefer a cylinder , is the house well insulated etc etc etc :)

family with 2 children, working family and obv children going to nursery / toddler groups etc. unsure about insulation. 1950's build.

Is this the one with a cast iron heat exchanger? if so, the best boiler ever built. I have one and the instructions if you need a copy.

im not sure what you mean by cast iron heater exchange.

its a brown boiler if that helps ...

sorry..

its in the property I have been viewing and im just trying to get as much info as possible on it.

there are radiators , the gas boiler and the water storage tank in the property, unsure if there is anything in the loft relating to the system.

but a scan of the instructions would be fab if it is the same one..

if it's 25 years old it's probably about 50% efficient versus a modern condensing boiler that will be capable of ~90% efficiency (in ideal conditions, with right controls etc. etc.).
Spares will probably also be hard to come by & I can't imagine anybody will give you a maintenance contract.
Depending upon how long you intend to stay in the property & the size of bills the savings over time may well pay for it's replacement.

I would deffo replace it, but obv would have to save up first as the property needs to be updated from its 60's decor lol.

My concern really is how effective it will be over the winter until I have saved the pennies to replace.

not really a big fan of having the heating on all the time anyway, and with it being the upper property im hoping the downstairs neighbour will help heat us :LOL:

don't suppose that it's inside Glasgow City Council boundaries?
they have a grant (£500) & interest free loan scheme for replacing old inefficient boilers

damn!

No just outside .. its in WDC district .. and right on the border as well ....

just checked google there are some grants in scotland I can apply for :D
will have a wee look into it

thanks

If you remove the front panel (lift off) right in front of you is the heat exchanger, it will be black cast iron and solid. It will have pipes coming out of it at the side or back.
If you have a gravity hot water system and pumped c/h system and it all works fine I would leave it in. Get a corgi heating engineer to give you a survey. If you have a copper cylinder in the airing cupboard for hot water you will have two water tanks in the loft.
Any chance of a photo?

oh i cant do that dont complete till oct but will next time i pester the EA to let me take measurements again

My boiler was installed in 1980, it is simply a finned cast iron tank, gas flame heats it, pump circulates the water, simple, inefficient compared to today's central heating boilers, but damn simple to maintain.

Back