Another boxing session, just a few select

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Its 3.52am, the boxing finished at 11pm, the M6 northbound was closed (for miles) so had to detour. Should have got home about midnight. Ended up getting home 1.20am. Grrrr.

Just finished copying the memory cards, had a quick browse at 3 particular matches as I am friendly with the fighters, I havent started culling yet just quickly found some action shots or shots that stood out in thumbnail view just to pop them up before I go to bed.

13501583824_837b2e20b8_b_d.jpg

2.. though id throw in a quick BW version (i do bw conversions of all my colours on boxing), not impressed with it, think i need a grittier version, blacks more black me think? suggestions? :)
13501244475_f4f8432fe6_b_d.jpg

13501335913_634f10faa9_b_d.jpg

13501585044_5070a141ea_b_d.jpg

13501584824_092537bae8_b_d.jpg

13501245365_893cce1fe9_b_d.jpg

Thanks for looking. Shot at 500th sec 5,000ISO (lighting was pretty ok!, was impressed with the venue though somehow, some of the drunk audience were allowed to sit at the mat with me (next to me) and even put a pint of lager onto the mat! A steward did go tell them to take the pint off, but to be honest, I would have preferred if they told them to go back to their seats. Ah well, was a good night though. Except for the p*** heads and M6 closure. GRRRRRRRR!

Great set here Carl you have really caught the action. Only crit is because they are all frozen cause of settings there is no motion blur on any which means they lose a little intensity imho. Im not saying all need it but a few would be nice. Particularly #3 would suit that style.

As you asked #2 needs more contrast yes it would certainly make it more moody. Also make sure that some colours arent being represented as same gray.

Keep these post coming though these wrestling and boxing ones are great and you can see the improvement each time.

Last edited:
Thanks Bryn :) I might try dropping it to 400th, I think any lower and I might get other body parts blurring, like the legs etc.. I'm only wanting the fist to be blurry, I'm still going through them so I might have some, will post when I've sorted through them all.

You're an early bird?

@Carlh Early bird not out of choice have a 3mth old and 2 1/2yr old. :confused:

It will be a balancing act to get the blur right. A little movement on the head being punched wouldnt go a miss either. However I know the classic shot everyone wants is the spit coming out of the mouth all frozen nicely.

Sorry.. but

cant see either boxers face

only two boxers in ring but you chopped the head off one

OK shot if you crop in

neither boxers face on show again

crop in and will be decent enough

crop and straighten

i think the colours look great BTW ...

Cheers Kipaz, I'm doing a bit of "quality control" on them now, straightening, cropping etc.. Number 6, when I did try and straighten it in camera raw, I ended up losing part of the glove so I'll do a manual transformation and maybe a bit of cloning to sort out anything that gets chopped off :) Thanks again - points taken on board - new set up later (different images but with your points applied). :)

I hope to have some amateur boxing shots next month, so will keep all the notes in mind!
I quite like the set but can appreciate the comments above. THe colours look great, very vibrant, as people often go B&W to hide the noise more than for artistic qualities.
My favourites are #1 and #5, the first for a poster, whilst not seeing faces I think the action shot looks good. and the last for a good promo shot. the complete freeze on some of the action makes the tableau look awkward, but that's just the way people move I guess.

I guess it really depends what the pcis are being used for... you can look at things differently if there just for fun or intended to get to published quality

I also did boxing on sat night.. winter gardens in blackpool sounds like a great venue... aaargh.. would ahve loved colours like these :)

was good lighting - was like almost shooting in a studio with flood lights, they ended up being good kicker lights. definitely best lighting so far for me :)

kipax - i heard about some guy with a bleed on his brain from the blackpool fight night, sounds bad. any news on that? must have been a pretty brutal fight.

kipax - i heard about some guy with a bleed on his brain from the blackpool fight night, sounds bad. any news on that? must have been a pretty brutal fight.

ricky hatton went to see him in hospital.. he tweeted an hr or so later saying boxer up in bed and talking so hes OK as far as i know.. no real damage.. I didnt stop for main fight... no money in it for me.. did the ones I know i can earn then left about 10.30pm

ah well, hope he ends up ok. sometimes i think if boxing was bare-knuckled, there'd be less injuries as they'd stop punching when their hands hurt to hell. cheers for the update!

what do you think is the best crop ratio for boxing, 10 x 8 or 7 x 5

I guess it would depend on the photograph itself, for me, Allan.

Im still very inexperienced when it comes to ratios and print sizes, my camera has been set to 2:3 (I think, see , thats how much I know about ratio's, though its slowly sinking in) so 6x4's, 12x8's (personally, I'd prefer a 12x8) so there is no cropping at all if I can help it (unless I have to do a photoshop crop to get a hand out of the way that I can't clone out for example).

Back