Critique Another commonblue

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
From a walkabout on Wednesday, so many of these about and all looking for partners although this one was more interested in a little food time.
Viewed best on Flickr
View attachment 38847
Thanks for looking and any C&C is welcome.

I like the colours and the composition. The centre of focus seems to be quite far forward, with the wings rather soft. Looking closely over at Flickr it seems that it is the right antenna that is most in focus. FWIW if there is insufficient DOF for both the wings and the antennae, I prefer to have the best sharpness/detail on the wings (and near eye), and let the antennae be as they will.

I'm curious about how you are focusing, whether manually or autofocus, and if autofocus whether Phase Detect through the viewfinder or contrast detect using the LCD. I'm wondering if you were using phase detect and it has picked up the nearest thing to the camera, which might be the near end of the antenna. If that were the case half of the DOF (which at f/13 should be reasonable) would be lost.

I like the colours and the composition. The centre of focus seems to be quite far forward, with the wings rather soft. Looking closely over at Flickr it seems that it is the right antenna that is most in focus. FWIW if there is insufficient DOF for both the wings and the antennae, I prefer to have the best sharpness/detail on the wings (and near eye), and let the antennae be as they will.

I'm curious about how you are focusing, whether manually or autofocus, and if autofocus whether Phase Detect through the viewfinder or contrast detect using the LCD. I'm wondering if you were using phase detect and it has picked up the nearest thing to the camera, which might be the near end of the antenna. If that were the case half of the DOF (which at f/13 should be reasonable) would be lost.
Thanks Nick for your comment, Fwiw I always use Manual focus as that what my lens is (Tokina 100) on the D3200 body anyway, I always use the eye piece to view as its way too bright here to use the LCD, I normally take upto 10 shots or maybe more depending on the subject so obviously this was imo the best of the bunch with the eye being the centre of focus (or best I could get) at the time.
If I could do stacking then I would be happy to do that and have more in focus.
Thanks again Nick

Back