Another go at Panning, this time Super Bikes!

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Not a bad start but to be honest with my crit they are all a little to far away the bikes, the poor things look lost in all the background. Having said that I think you have done well with the panning technique. I would say 6 and 7 are my favourites nice blurred backgrounds, my only niggle is I would of cropped in tighter to loose the top off the barriers in both 6&7. I may say very brave of you to be shooting at 1/80th of a second not even I have been that brave with my bikes yet.

Not a bad start but to be honest with my crit they are all a little to far away the bikes, the poor things look lost in all the background.

Ok, when you are using really sloooow speeds, its never pin sharp - to combat this, make your subject smaller in the image.... check out all the greats, everyone does this...

Having said that, 1/80th is possible if you choose the right rider and the right spot, but it is dependent on those two things. The biggest problem with motorbikes is that the man and machine both move around - a lot! Panning technique can only get you so far, there is still a lot of subject movement you cannot control!!!!

On the other hand, we only use slow speeds on those four wheeled metal box things because they are boring if you don't... with bikes the dynamic is the lean angle and/or rider position, so don't be afraid to crank it up a bit - you can still get speed blur from the background and wheel blur too as they are usually bloody fast (assuming you are talking 1000cc'ers).

Firstly, thanks for the feedback :D

PinkBikerBabe, I did think about cropping some of these.. These are straight off the camera though, so I may go back and edit a couple.. I started off with 1/125 and moved down slightly.. I did get a 1/60 sharp, but didn't like the image as a whole..

Thanks CarlH :)

Desantnik, Are you suggesting I'm trying to get people to not notice the bits i don't have in focus!? haha, I only ever seemed to get the front of the bike in focus, or the rear.. Never both of them.. Any reason why, or would it be down to the whole "they're small, and all parts are moving independently.."? Like #3, I guess the rider and rear Tail is moving or getting bumped about more than the front..?

Thanks again :)

Back