Another go at water drop

Name
William
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all, as it was wet yesterday and iv'e still got Chris P's lens, I had another go at water drops.
Here are 3 for now,

waterDrop-5.jpg

waterDrop-3.jpg

waterDrop-4.jpg

Please feel free to comment, and thanks for looking.

Bill

These have improved 10-fold from last time! Congrats, I love them :D

What did you put in the water?

Really those Bill, something I'll have another crack at when I get my camera back. Can I ask what set up you are using for the droplets?

Di

Thankyou all for your comments, they are really appreciated.

These have improved 10-fold from last time! Congrats, I love them

What did you put in the water?

Thanks Ash, I tried a mixture of food colourings with a spot of rinse aid, and a black container. And some PP to enhance the colours. Also, thanks for the advice regarding camera angles in my first attempt. I am using two flashes but was wondering if a third flash fired from above would improve the shots. What do you think?

Really those Bill, something I'll have another crack at when I get my camera back. Can I ask what set up you are using for the droplets?

Thanks Di, am happy to share what little I have learned so far, although there many on here with far greater skills.
Nikon 700 with a Tamron M/F 90mm Macro. 2 nikon speedlights bounced off a sheet of glossy white paper behind the droplet. Shutter speed 3 secs at f11 iso200. Flashes fired on manual setting @ 1/64.
Oh and of course my new camera axe.

regards Bill

Thanks Ash, I tried a mixture of food colourings with a spot of rinse aid, and a black container. And some PP to enhance the colours. Also, thanks for the advice regarding camera angles in my first attempt. I am using two flashes but was wondering if a third flash fired from above would improve the shots. What do you think?

Cool! I liked the spindly string between the spout and droplet heading upwards on the first shot - must be from the type of food colouring used :)

As for lighting - I wouldn't use any flash from above/forwards unless your droplets are opaque (ie have milk in them). If they're just food colouring and water I would (personally) stick to lighting from behind only, as you are doing. If you've got another flash it might be worth placing it pointing higher up on the reflective background to get more light in the reflection perhaps?

Thanks Bill. What about the actual release of the water? Are you using one of those Time machines or just lots of patience with the dripping water from a plastic bag and quick reactions to interrupt the flow to achieve the collision shots? Those I've never been able to get; must be too slow or have slow reactions!

Di

Cool! I liked the spindly string between the spout and droplet heading upwards on the first shot - must be from the type of food colouring used
The colouring I used is Dr Oetker, and I varied the strength and colours. The stringy one was with a stronger mix.

Thanks Bill. What about the actual release of the water? Are you using one of those Time machines or just lots of patience with the dripping water from a plastic bag and quick reactions to interrupt the flow to achieve the collision shots? Those I've never been able to get; must be too slow or have slow reactions!
I am using the camera axe with the valve sensor.
I really bought it to get some daylight lightning around our pools, but not had chance yet. I am thinking of trying do do some shots of a bullet in the winter, and am going to offer the kit to some of the forum users, for a couple of sessions at my place possibly if there is any interest.

Bill

Wow!,these are really good Bill,terrific considering you have done so little macro.
It's something I know nothing about ,but the last one is superb,but they are all good.

That little Tamron is pretty damm sharp ,enjoying seeing the work.

Pons

I really bought it to get some daylight lightning around our pools, but not had chance yet. I am thinking of trying do do some shots of a bullet in the winter, and am going to offer the kit to some of the forum users, for a couple of sessions at my place possibly if there is any interest. Bill

Camera axe is a new one on me :)thinking: must get out more ) so will look it up now. I'd be interested to see the equipment in action should you do any sessions.

Di

Great images here Bill, now I see what all the fuss is about, lol
tony

Fantastic shots, I know of this technique (Water drop) but it never really seemed that exciting so I didn't bother, although this really is very impressive, it's definately something I've got to try. Thanks for sharing!!! M. ; )

The colouring I used is Dr Oetker, and I varied the strength and colours. The stringy one was with a stronger mix.

I really bought it to get some daylight lightning around our pools, but not had chance yet. I am thinking of trying do do some shots of a bullet in the winter, and am going to offer the kit to some of the forum users, for a couple of sessions at my place possibly if there is any interest.

Bill

How do you find the camera axe? is it easy to use and do you have any other sensors?
Sorry for all the questions but I was thinking about either getting one of those or or a "triggertrap" but the triggertrap hasn't launched yet and iv just found out its going to be delayed until at least April.

ps great photos (y)

Great details and excellent results, thanks for posting, you've given me something to aspire to.

Thankyou all for your comments, they are really appreciated.

Thanks Di, am happy to share what little I have learned so far, although there many on here with far greater skills.
Nikon 700 with a Tamron M/F 90mm Macro. 2 nikon speedlights bounced off a sheet of glossy white paper behind the droplet. Shutter speed 3 secs at f11 iso200. Flashes fired on manual setting @ 1/64.
Oh and of course my new camera axe.

regards Bill

Back