Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
One from a few I took this morning.

IMG_0220_filtered.jpg

Edit
IMG_0220.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers guy`s, have put a straight conversion up with no sharpening, how does it look now :shrug: The thing what is puzzling me is the strange effect I seem to have on the branch :thinking: It is sun baked as it has been out in the garden for a while now and there was a fairly strong light on it, but as I say it is just odd looking.

Last edited:
Uping the contrast a bit might sort the 2nd one, looks like you reduced the saturation a bit to much for my screen also. Bird looks in fantastic condition.

Cheers guy`s, have put a straight conversion up with no sharpening, how does it look now :shrug: The thing what is puzzling me is the strange effect I seem to have on the branch :thinking: It is sun baked as it has been out in the garden for a while now and there was a fairly strong light on it, but as I say it is just odd looking.

How do you mean "strange effect on the branch"? It looks pretty 'normal' to me.
I think it is a beautiful shot.
This is the sort of picture I would like to achieve. Is it in your garden and do you have a hide or just a huge amount of patience? Perhaps both! :clap:

Last edited:
Silky smooth, nice one Rich.
Thanks lammie
Fantastic colours and they have a nice shine to them.

The branch looks like a model, rather than real if that makes sense.:thinking:
Thank you and yes that does make sense to me.
Uping the contrast a bit might sort the 2nd one, looks like you reduced the saturation a bit to much for my screen also. Bird looks in fantastic condition.
Thanks Neil, I have done one more edit from the Jpeg, hopefuly it looks a tad better, if not I will go back to the Raw to work on it again. I thought it might have been something I did when I converted it :shrug: but comparing it against the perch in the Chaffinch shot they look totaly different even in the Raw stage and settings were near identical. The only other factor was that the Goldie was shot at 06.55 just as the sun was high enough to shine in the garden and the Chaffie was taken at 08.13. What a difference a day makes :thinking: or maybe an hour in this case. Perhaps that was what the Chaffie was whistling :LOL:

IMG_0220_edit.jpg

Beautifullly detailed shot
Thanks Ken
How do you mean "strange effect on the branch"? It looks pretty 'normal' to me.
I think it is a beautiful shot.
This is the sort of picture I would like to achieve. Is it in your garden and do you have a hide or just a huge amount of patience? Perhaps both! :clap:

Thanks, the branch has taken on a plastic model look to it :LOL: They were shot in the garden and I have a cammo net strung across. Things like the Blue, Great and Long tailed tits are happy to fly around to within a couple of feet of me when I am there but these guy`s and others are pretty wary. Patience is something you need but after a while it will pay dividends for you.

I would agree Rich it does look a bit oversharpend.

Regards: Gordon

Its a nicely posed and composed shot Rich, but there is something wrong. My simple opinion is that its a combination of things. All the images posted are oversharpened, they all have a halo above the dark part of the head and have that oversharpened appearance that takes the natural softness off the feathers. There are some artifacts starting to show too. The whites look silvery and smooth rather than like white feathers, maybe over exposed and a lot of recovery applied? This can possibly be the high end of the tone curve being pushed too high perhaps :thinking: The branch looks best in the original so maybe starting from RAW again is best. Hope this helps, but my thoughts have probably confused things cause I dont really know what I am talking about (y) :thinking:

Last edited:
Cheers again for the feedback guy`s. I will go back to the Raw and take another look. As I mentioned this was taken at 06.55, the sun was just rising on a very clear morning, even at that time of day you could feel the warmth. The Goldies were feeding and just lounging about absorbing it, hence the feathers being slightly puffed up. From aprox 8ft away I could see for myself the sheen and glow that was coming from them, when the feathers are flat down tight they take on a more dull look. Trev I have just zoomed in on the Jpeg pic as far as I can go and done a screen grab, tbh there is a small amound of light pixling above the part you mention but I do not think it is oversharpened. I might well be wrong but I think it might be due to the fact that at some stage the dark part of the bird is going to catch and reflect a small amount of light so will show up as a bright line, any Halo effect would be more prominent around a greater area of the bird if it was oversharpened. I will always stand to be corrected though so if anybody else has an opinion on this then now is the time to speak up and discuss it :)

zoom.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers again for the feedback guy`s. I will go back to the Raw and take another look. As I mentioned this was taken at 06.55, the sun was just rising on a very clear morning, even at that time of day you could feel the warmth. The Goldies were feeding and just lounging about absorbing it, hence the feathers being slightly puffed up. From aprox 8ft away I could see for myself the sheen and glow that was coming from them, when the feathers are flat down tight they take on a more dull look. Trev I have just zoomed in on the Jpeg pic as far as I can go and done a screen grab, tbh there is a small amound of light pixling above the part you mention but I do not think it is oversharpened. I might well be wrong but I think it might be due to the fact that at some stage the dark part of the bird is going to catch and reflect a small amount of light so will show up as a bright line, any Halo effect would be more prominent around a greater area of the bird. I will alsways stand to be corrected though so if anybody else has an opinion on this then now is the time to speak up and discuss it :)

Fair comment Rich, I'll stand down on that, I am unsure now :thinking:. I'm sure someone has an answer, I'm interested to see what is suggested (y)

Back