Another Porthcawl Storm shot!

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry its a bit cliche and been done to death etc...but here is my picture from yesterdays 70+ mph wind battering. Processed using Lightroom and Colour Efex.

Sun broke the clouds for a while to give better lighting.

Porthcawl
by Caerwynt Loops, on Flickr

A really cracking shot,great wave well captured.(y)

It's a belter. Super lighting on that wave.

Stunning capture. I agree about the light on the wave, it seems to highlight the power of the thing.

Absolute stunner - never thought Porthcawl could look so good ;):)(y)(y)

The wave is spectacular and caught extremely well - there is just a little bit of 'tidying' required around the lighthouse and top of the harbour wall that would bring it to perfection :)

Cliche? No way David! Seen a few shots of the storms these past few days but that my son is a stunner. You probably didn't realise that the wave would break just there but in terms of composition it broke in the sweet spot with the lighthose and jetty in perfect balance. Outstanding. Wall-hanger(y)

Thanks all for the kind replies. This particular day was neap tides (I think) taken on the flood tide at 15:30 (17:15 high tide). I think a spring tide in these conditions would make it too dangerous.

Just so you know what the impact of this wave looked like.....

Porthcawl Impact-3

Great shot,David. We were very fortunate the sun came out for a short while. I'll take a look at what I got and see if there''s anything different .

Fantastic shot! It has the real WOW factor :clap: The light is gorgeous.
It would look fantastic printed as a huge canvas :)

Great shots (y) but what did you do with the processing of the first one.....for me, it is really overdone? Is there a more natural version, like the second, without the halos and with the sharpening/clarity being more understated?

Hi all..thanks again for the comments...

Hi Mike..I do agree with you - a bit too much sharpening going on (now I know the cause of those halo's!). Couple of things about the shot which may or may not effect it, it was taken with a polarizing filter and deliberately about 1 1/4 stops "over exposed" and exposure reduced back in Lightroom afterwards. I have re-edited the photo with less PP below as suggested. But I think i may sharpen it up again but hopefully avoiding the halo effects on the sea wall - I guess that's down to personal preference etc....

Porthcawl_edit-2

That is much better, harbour wall and lighthouse now look good.

Don't be sorry about cliche etc it is a great image (y)

Nice one,David. There must be some rocks under that swell that causes it or maybe it's the return flow from the previous wave. It can produce a 'ball effect'

Nice one,David. There must be some rocks under that swell that causes it or maybe it's the return flow from the previous wave. It can produce a 'ball effect'

Hi John, just seen your location and put two and two together! I think we met on the wall. Hope your journey home was OK. I was stuck on on the M4 trying to get around an overturned caravan!

To me, that looks 100% better....(y)

A lot of the time, when I sharpen images, I try not to do a general 'unsharp mask' as it isn't necessary to sharpen large parts of the image, such as the sky....I make a sharper (and perhaps more saturated) bottom layer, then add a layer mask on the top layer and just brush in the sharpness on the required spots! I find it easier to avoid tell-tale halos whilst still being able to achieve the desired results where you want them!

Lovely capture. I do like Porthcawl & the surrounding coastline :)

I tend to resize, sharpen with 'high pass' as a separate layer then I have the option to mask anything I don't want sharpened & can also adjust the opacity too ;)

Much improved edit,David. Yes, I think we met..all those people and I stood next to you...

Back