Another shoot with my favourite Staffies

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a client who gets both her dogs photographed on their birthday. A nice regular gig for me and the dogs are both fantastic to photograph. I've shot them a few times now so looking to get slightly different shots. Not much time to do the shoot so headed to the nearest beach that I knew would have some standing water. The new Sony 70-200m did brilliantly with the A9 ii and I was particularly impressed shooting into the light. That was a struggle for the Tamron but the new lens just grips the subject instantly. I looked like I had wet myself and rolled in the sand after the shoot but well worth it for these two stars. Never in a million years did I think I would fancy getting a Staffy but these dogs have got me smitten.

_A926872 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

_A927266 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

_A927513 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

_A927752 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

_A927950 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

_A928128 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

_A928182 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

_A928287 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:
We have a rescue staffie
got him 2 years ago
magic dogs nothing like the picture the press try to give
he is however a bit tubbier than these 2

We have a rescue staffie
got him 2 years ago
magic dogs nothing like the picture the press try to give
he is however a bit tubbier than these 2
These two are very different. The older one is actually far more athletic and much friendlier. The owner is absolutely fantastic with them and they just await her next command. a joy to work with

I can see why she employs you to take their Birthday photos , great set of photos , wonderfully sharp and composed .

I love Staffies. Lovely nature. We used to have one, and I still miss him dearly to this day.

Last edited:
Brilliant photos.
What af settings do you use?
I change about between large single point tracking and wide with a splash of zone thrown in. I tend to lie on the ground with dog photography so my movement is not as free as it could be. If I can't get the point on the head then I'll just shoot wide. If I am kneeling or sitting I would probably use single point but how erratic the dogs movement is and their speed will effect how successful that is. Wide is unbelievably good on the A9 II with fast GM glass so you could easily just use that all the time. I usually crank stickability to 4 or 5 as there isn't really anything to catch the focus once locked on and getting it locked on usually means a series of good shots to choose from. By far the hardest part is the owner throwing the ball and understanding what I want then to do. If they can nail that I can usually get lots of good images. The owner of these dogs just gets what is needed for a good image and has a good arm so I know we will get good shots. Next birthday I'm going to try static shots for a different feels and scope out some nice locations or even try the studio

Back