Another Speeding Question...

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
I received notification the other day that I was speeding. It says I was doing 49 in a 40. It appears that I was photographed by a red light camera which also now checks for speeding using radar. Evidentally there about 1000 of these red light cameras that are now also being used to check speed in the London area.

According to Google Street View the camera is not painted yellow like all other speed cameras but grey, as are the red light junction cameras. (I need to check this myself of course as it could have been recently painted)

My question is do all cameras used to check speed have to be painted yellow now?
Searching on the internet is inconclusive.

I was driving so carefully too, I thought the area was a 50 zone, but of course that's no excuse.

I thought they had to be clearly visible and signposted:

In 2001 the law was changed so that speed cameras had to be painted yellow to ensure visibility. Many other rules were also brought in regarding speed cameras.

The regulations decree that:

• Speed camera housings must be coloured yellow
  • Camera housings cannot be obscured, e.g. by trees, bushes or signs
  • Cameras must be visible from 60m away in 40mph or less zones and 100m for all other speed limit zones
  • Signs must only be placed in areas where camera housings are located or where mobile cameras are in operation
  • In order to make them visible, mobile speed camera operators must wearing fluorescent clothing, and their vehicles should be marked with reflective strips
  • Camera sites are to be reviewed at least every six months in order to ensure that cameras are adequately visible and signed
However:
None of the following can be used as a defence against a speeding charge, even if you felt that you were justified in speeding at the time.
  • The camera did not conform to the regulations set out for their operation
  • There were no relevant visible road signs
  • The speed trap was hidden – there is no requirement for the police to make themselves visible or provide warning when operating in this way
https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/personal/speeding
https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/personal/speeding

Steve.

Last edited:
Thanks, and for the link.

So there are regulations, but if the camera doesn't conform to the regulations that's no defence.

I seem to recall that cameras positioned on overhead gantries and traffic lights don't have to be yellow.

I'll try to find where I remember it from.

I cant recall where I read it. However I'm pretty sure a change has cone in where they don't have to be as visible anymore.

Anyway, do the honourable thing, you know you were speeding so just take it on the chin, pay up and move on.

It could be argued that highly visible cameras and road markings can be a danger in their own right, or at least cause dangerous situations. There are a couple on the A38 and A380 and the number of people who hammer up to them (at an indicated 70-75, so probably under the limit anyway) then slam on the brakes when they spot the camera or the lines on the road has to be seen to be believed!

Touch wood, I've never been had by a camera (famous last words!) and only had 2 tickets for speeding. These days, I can't be bothered with being in a tearing hurry to get where I'm going and always leave plenty of time if I HAVE to be somewhere at a particular time (which isn't that often.) Luckily, my car (the main one) is a nice place to sit, so traffic isn't too much of a PITA!

The brightly painted camera thing came about from when all Gatso's were grey, and local authorities got accused of 'being sneaky'. The argument was made that if they painted them bright colours, made them very obvious, and people still got caught by them, that local authority got to keep the funds.
If the camera was left grey, and so was more stealthy and caught people, the fine money went to central government.

Not sure if it's still split like that, but whatever its colour, if you've been caught bang to rights then you won't be getting out of it on the basis of camera casing colour.

I never said I was going to contest the fine - I was speeding therefore I'll pay. My question was purely out of interest as there seems some inconsistencey.

I never said I was going to contest the fine - I was speeding therefore I'll pay. My question was purely out of interest as there seems some inconsistencey.

Have you been asked to 'man up' yet? Seems to be the phrase of the week form the 'righteous set' here on TP!

Back