Another SSD question

• Thread starter Deleted member 49549
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 49549

Hi all.

Decided to look into upgrading my hard drive to an ssd. My current machine is a 2009 macbook 17 with a 500gb 5400 hard drive.

My main reason for the upgrade is to improve lightroom performance. I am finding the speed on lightroom 5 to be annoyingly slow at times, especially when zooiming into 100%. Since i haven't usedn or installed an SSD i have a couple of questions.

Will installing an SSD improve lightroom performance.
Looking at the samsung 840's, will the PRO be much of an improvement over the EVO. SInce i am looking to keep this machine for another year or 2 i am happy to pay the extra if needed.

These are the 2 drives i am looking at on amazon:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series-512GB-Solid-State/dp/B009LI7CYE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E3915Y4/

What extra do i need to transfer my data over from my current hd to the new hd, and any extra hardware / tools needed to install?

Cheers all

yes, LR is disk and CPU intensive.

the PRO is supposedly much faster, but obviously more expensive. if you can find any remaining stock of the 830 they were cheaper and not *******ised and split into 2 performance brackets.

It will definitely improve general snappiness, but I'm not 100% sure you will get a lot more out of the MB on zooming. The 2009 is a C2Duo, which is quite a bit slower than a 2013 i7... It can't hurt, but stuff that is CPU intensive will still be as CPU intensive on a MB with SSD...

Fingers crossed it will make a difference. Unfortunately apple have discontinued the macbook 17, so until i get a house where i can put a desktop this will have to do!

Gone for the pro. I shall do a test before and after and decide if its worth keeping.

Cheers all

I'm running an EVO and its great. Not the night and day difference people make it out to be, but its nice having everything open almost instantly.

Once i get fibre in my house next week, then stuff will be quickk :D

I'm running an EVO and its great. Not the night and day difference people make it out to be, but its nice having everything open almost instantly.
The difference is in the write performance. If all you are doing is reading data, you won't notice it.

About to fit a 840 Pro to my MBP, the Pro is a longer lasting drive due to layering(I'm not an expect, but Google it). They seem to be the best about.

How much RAM do you have?

About to fit a 840 Pro to my MBP, the Pro is a longer lasting drive due to layering(I'm not an expect, but Google it). They seem to be the best about.

How much RAM do you have?

8gb. Currently using disk utility to clone my hard drive. 5hrs to go...

How did it work? I guess 8gb RAM is the max?

Surprisingly easy.

Cloned the drive overnight, tested it the next morning as a boot drive while still attached via usb. Then 5 minutes to do the physical install. Has speeded things up quite significantly. Only downer is knowing there is nothing more i can do to speed up my system.

EDIT
except for the fact that i have no sound...

Need to check the internal cables when i get back how.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a nutshell

830 and 840 Pro = MLC.

Performance wise; unlikely that you'll notice difference in real world applications. But they should last longer based on figures provided by Samsung.

840 Pro inside MBP here. No issues, very very quick.

Back