Another which lens Sigma or Tamron

Bob

Name
Faithless
Edit My Images
No
Cant decide which to get Sigma 17-70 or Tamron 28-75 both f2.8 so which would you get as both seem to get good reveiws Would it be usefull having the extra width of the sigma even if I dont know if I would need at the momment:help:
Bob

The Sigma isn't a constant f2.8 and the Tamron is. Something to bare in mind if you need f2.8

There's the same discussion in this thread (kind of)

My response about the Sigma was:

I've got one on my Canon 400D as a walkabout lens - it's pretty good actually, fairly fast at the wide end and nicely built. The macro abilities are ok but great to have for impromptu close-ups.

Despite your thread title it's not a constant f2.8 max aperture (it's f4.5 at the zoom end) so it's not the fastest in the world if you need to zoom in - fine for general day to day stuff but not so great for low light weddings for example.

The range is perfect for a walkabout - nice and wide on a crop sensor at 17mm but a little more reach than usual with it's 70mm so it's nice and versatile.

I really like mine but will probably be trading it in for something with a constant f2.8 aperture and sacrifice the extra zoom to do it. If you need the reach, it's a great lens, if you don't then maybe look at the faster 17-50ish lenses which have constant aperture.

i have the tamron 28-75 f2.8 great lens (on sony)
although my sony has inbuilt IS, not sure how it would fair without IS

i would choose a constant f2.8 over the sigma

I notice you also own the Canon EF-S 17-85 IS USM

Are you keeping this ?

At 17mm the Sigma is obviously wider than the 28mm end of the Tamron. If you were getting rid of of the Canon I'd go for the wider Sigma especially if you like your landscapes.

Not sure how much more you would gain over the Canon though.

I notice you also own the Canon EF-S 17-85 IS USM

Are you keeping this ?

At 17mm the Sigma is obviously wider than the 28mm end of the Tamron. If you were getting rid of of the Canon I'd go for the wider Sigma especially if you like your landscapes.

Not sure how much more you would gain over the Canon though.

Dont have the 17-85is any more just updated camera bag
Thanks for advice looking at Sigma photo and reveiws

Back