any comments welcome

Edit My Images
No
Hi! Another one for advice sorry. I have tried several times to try and photograph buildings reflecting at night (Flickr) but can not seem to get it right. Any help on what I could of done for this one please? Sun was setting and overcast! Thanks in advance ...

colours
by ChilliPepper0713, on Flickr

It's certainly not a bed effort and a lovely looking place. For really crisp reflections, you basically need calm water. Not much you can do to make that happen other than pick your moment. Maybe if you'd shot this a little later when the light was lower, the contrast of the light reflections in the water would have been stronger too. A personal preference admittedly but I tend to think reflection shots look better with with water edge central in the frame. In this example I'd maybe be tempted to have cropped to a wider format ( 6x9 maybe) and centralise the water edge. Maybe add a touch of contrast too. It's got the makings of a really nice image.

Last edited:
I think it is a good shot and shows the lovely colours of the buildings there. The crop would work better forme as a panoramic image, loosing some of the sky and the light sea bottom left. And also slightly darken the shot as the two white buildings are slightly distracting.

I don't have photoshop or proper editing programmes, not technical at all!!! I have attempted something, is this any better please?

I thnk your crop is better. It concentrates the colours of the buildings and the reflections, and the white building is in a good position in the shot, though I agree with Steve a panorama would work too.

If you want to try free editors have a look at Photoscape and GIMP. Neither will handle RAW files but the software that came with your camera will be able to convert RAW files. Both can handle TIFF and jpegs. Photoscape is limited but is just about as simple to use as an editor can be. GIMP is much more powerful and can do a lot.

Dave

I always shoot in jpegs but had a disk malfunction and using ZAR could only get tiffs! Thanks for advice all

Back