Any malt whisky fans in?

Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Laphhroig, Port Ellen, Lagavulin - any Islay tends to be my tipple. Smokehead & Black Bottle as blends if I'm off the malts.

I'm quite lucky as extended family run a whisky outlet so I can get hold of vintage bottlings or rare expressions.

I started to gather 1971 labels (my birth year) when they were = to 18 year old malts. They're valuable now but obviously more expensive to add to.

Laphroaig I do like.

Everyday blend then I do enjoy a black grouse.

Although quite happy to try any wee dram

Who drink the stuff that is, not look at it in a cabinet.

Just ordered a Pulteney 21 year old and a sampler sized bottle ea of 18 year old Talisker and Highland Park.

Old Pulteney is distilled in the town where I live and the 21 year old was rated as the best whisky in the world recently. I've got 2 hand poured bottles stashed away for a rainy day. Very happy with the 12 y/o to be honest. That, scapa and bruichladdich are my favourites.

Just reading this with a glass of Tobermory by my side

The Penderyn Malt Whiskeys from Wales are well worth a try. Smooth with surprisingly complex tastes.

Mike

I hate to tell you, Mike, what a Penderyn person told me strictly off the record :whistle:

One of their big secrets is they buy their barrels second-hand from Scotland! :LOL:

I've got a glass of Knockando here (y)

Another fan of the Jura whiskies here. And Dalwhinnie. And Aberlour. And Highland Park. And Auchentoshan. And Balvenie.

Who drink the stuff that is, not look at it in a cabinet.

Just ordered a Pulteney 21 year old and a sampler sized bottle ea of 18 year old Talisker and Highland Park. :love:

Can report back with tasting notes once it all arrives if desired! :nuts:

My current orgasmotron whisky, about half a bottle left, is Macallan Fine Oak masters edition. Exquisite stuff.

Wondered what other people rated and enjoyed?

:beer:
McCallan....'.. Mmmmmmm lovely....... I grew up next to the Bushmills Distillery, they do a couple of nice Irish malts..... I am heading home to Ireland on the 6th April so if any one wants a bottle brought back let me know.... 8)

I hate to tell you, Mike, what a Penderyn person told me strictly off the record :whistle:

One of their big secrets is they buy their barrels second-hand from Scotland! :LOL:

That wouldn't surprise me at all (it's a great idea) but according to their website it's more complicated: they actually use two different types of barrel for maturing their Whisky. They source Tenessee/Kentucky (bourbon) barrels (including Buffalo Trace) for the first stage and "Portuguese barriques that have previously nurtured a rich Madeira wine" for the second.

Lots more Penderyn info here.

As for as my own favourite tipple, I'll happily drink any Single Malt but I prefer the non-peaty ones.

Last edited:
My prefernces are firmly Speyside, Highland, some Lowland, and only Bruichladdich and Highland Park from the islands. Best advice is to put on a false beard and moustache and head off to Aldi where you can buy the 5yo blended malt Glen Orrin for £12.49 and it's none too shabby.(y) If it's too downmarket for you they have a 30yo of the same at £49.99 .......

Was in the Tain Asda the other day just about 2 miles from the Glenmorangie distillery and they were selling it at £35 a bottle! :eek:

I am heading home to Ireland on the 6th April so if any one wants a bottle brought back let me know.... 8)

I'm over there often as I've family near Oldcastle (Meath)

Spent a fortune (I was tricked) buying Midleton whiskey last time I was out on the lash with my brother :bonk:

Last edited:
I'm over there often as I've family near Oldcastle (Meath)

Spent a fortune (I was tricked) buying Midleton whiskey last time I was out on the lash with my brother :bonk:

Tricked is a word I use often when buying camera gear and whisky when explaining lack of funds in bank to the missus

Tricked is a word I use often when buying camera gear and whisky when explaining lack of funds in bank to the missus

Fortunately my missus was with me - but at £1500 a bottle I soon put a stop to those nips.

Three of my current favourites are Ardbeg Corryvrekan, Ardbeg Uigeadail and Bruichladdich Octomore.

Must go back to Islay again as apart from the bird life I want to visit the Kilchoman distillery. In 2009 they let us have taste some of their, then only 2 year old, spirit which could not then be sold. For such a young spirit it was very good, I would like to see how it has developed.

Dave

16 year old scapa, really smooth. It's about time I treated myself to another bottle.

Must go back to Islay again as apart from the bird life I want to visit the Kilchoman distillery. In 2009 they let us have taste some of their, then only 2 year old, spirit which could not then be sold. For such a young spirit it was very good, I would like to see how it has developed.

Dave

I loved Kilchomans. I took to buying two bottles of each of their releases; one to drink and one to save as a possible investment. However, since they haven't taken off in value, I might have to open those second bottles soon ;)

My whisky-loving mate visited the Wells' family distillery in about 2009 when they'd been open for four years and had gone through the whole historical distillery experience including their first fire. Brilliantly, he chalked his name on a couple of barrels at random. His logic was that there's a chance they'll have another fire or somehow lose all their records and that one day, he might get a phone call saying "Great news, we've found your personal stock! We managed to save it!" :LOL:

I was bought a bottle of 30 year old Glenfiddich a few years ago. I allow myself a glass on my birthday and a glass on Christmas day :love:

Triptych%20lo%20res.jpg

caol ila for me, especially the latter.

Caol ila is my current late-night tipple, whilst I work my way through the bottle. Thoroughly enjoying it. Got a cask strength one in the back of the cupboard too but saving it for a special occasion...

I'm not a huge Whisky or Whiskey drinker, but if I do, then my favourite is Glenmorangie - the Quinta Ruban in particular.

A few years back, my partner and I had a private tour of the distillery in Tain which was quite fascinating. We had the whole place to ourselves (got some pics somewhere), and we finished off at the shop with a tasting session which was wicked. (and also where I was introduced to the Quinta Ruban !).

We bought this limited edition as a souvenir which I believe is quite a goodun'. 59.6% abv :

glenmorangielimitededit.png

Excuse my 'arty' photo I took of it lol !

Last edited:
No one drinking Japanese whisky then. They have won the worlds best Malt Whisky award for two years out of the last 3

Steve

Tried the one Sainsbury's had at the time (8 or 10 YO) - bloody awful.
Was so ****-poor I took it back and got it exchanged for something that tasted decent.
Have never been tempted to give the brand a second chance.

No one drinking Japanese whisky then. They have won the worlds best Malt Whisky award for two years out of the last 3

Steve

The Yamazaki 25yo isn't likely to be a tipple for many on here as it's " Between € 450 (Swedish Systembolaget) and € 750 (European stores) but it seems to be out of stock everywhere." It also seems to taste quite different depending on which batch it is, so I'll probably just stick to what I can get at the local Whisky Shop and supermarket. (y)

http://www.whiskynotes.be/2012/japan-whisky/yamazaki-25-years/

Last edited:
Surprised at the vote for the quinta ruban, I got myself one before christmas and its decidedly average. Disappointed because they used to do a port wood finish which was very good and I thought this was its replacement.

Irish whiskey drinkers welcome! I had bushmills black bush last year and it was very suppable. I went back and got another one once id finished it. Sainsbury dont seem to stock it anymore though.

Meanwhile my Pulteney 21 is due to arrive on Tuesday :love:

Any of the peatheads in here tried the Ardbeg supernova?

There are a lot of nice drams mentioned here..and I tried a lot of them :love: Whisky. I have been to all the Manchester Whisky Festivals since they started in 2009...this year they have a few festivals around the country..may be one near you..well worth it (y)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Whisky-Lounge/117227954967292?id=117227954967292&sk=events

Has anyone tried Indian Whisky I was plessently suprised
http://www.amrutdistilleries.com/validated/pages/aismwcs.html

Also I prevered the 17year old pulteney to the 21 :shrug:

Slainte

Surprised at the vote for the quinta ruban, I got myself one before christmas and its decidedly average.

I'm surprised that you find it average. The majority of reviews and opinions I've read for it rate it quite highly.

I'm surprised that you find it average. The majority of reviews and opinions I've read for it rate it quite highly.

Yes, I got the Jim Murray 2012 book and he raves about it. I was surprised I didnt like it much. Balvenie double wood and the Macallan fine oak masters Ive got open both taste a lot better to me.

More of a bourbon drinker myself but I do have a bottle of Aberfeldy 10 year old malt which is quite nice.

Can recommend a good bourbon? And are they fine neat/with water or do you add mixer generally?

Can recommend a good bourbon? And are they fine neat/with water or do you add mixer generally?

Woodland Special Reserve - drink straight

I'm a Jim Beam man so would recommend black label.
If you fancy something a bit different try Jim Beam red stag which is cherry finished.
I guess you could drink them straight/with water but I generally mix with coke.

bourbon - Buffalo Trace. They were at last years Whisky Fest in Mcr and cheap at Asda.
Balvenie Rumwood was good, I believe its been replaced with Caribbean Cask.
Is anyone collecting the Flora and Fauna range

Back