Anyone got a Frio Cold Shoe?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Just wondering if anyone's used these and if they are any good?

I've read a few reviews and all seem positive but they all talk about attaching your flash directly to it... however I want to put the flash on a wireless receiver and then clip that on the cold shoe... would that work?

It's just the receivers I have are much thinner where they attach than the flash unit and I'm concerned it might not clip in place as well.

Would be good to get some feedback from those who've used them before :)

There will be a tiny bit of movement - few millimetres

I use them with a flash attached to a RF602 and its not a snug fit, but the point is that it stops the flash (and trigger) falling to the floor.

The same set-up seems to slip out of metal cold shoes - before getting a Frio I used to use gaffer tape to keep it all safe.

There will be a tiny bit of movement - few millimetres

I use them with a flash attached to a RF602 and its not a snug fit, but the point is that it stops the flash (and trigger) falling to the floor.

The same set-up seems to slip out of metal cold shoes - before getting a Frio I used to use gaffer tape to keep it all safe.

Thanks for the info! I'll buy one and see how it goes as they aren't all that expensive and sounds like they should do the job well (y)

I use them on all my flashes. When you've just spent upwards of a couple of hundred quid on an SB-Whatever, only to watch the light stand go over and the flash foot get all busted up in a metal clamp, that's the point at which a sacrificial bit of plastic starts to make a hell of a load of sense.

See also Pocketwizards and anything else with a shoe foot.

I saw some of those but at £10 I thought over priced - what about these. I've not used myself but they look sturdy.

I saw some of those but at £10 I thought over priced - what about these. I've not used myself but they look sturdy.

Too sturdy.

That's the point - you can clamp your flash in any old metal wossname from eBay, but if you end up playing bounce-flash because your stand-full of expensive kit has just hit the deck, the Frio is designed to break before the plastic foot of your flash does.

Fair point, but if it does hit the deck I suspect my flash will be dead anyway, but I have no wish to find out :) I guess just make sure your stands are weighted as best you can.

I have these, like you, I thought they were expensive, but they do the job. My flash seems secure, especially when you tilt the soft box or whatever your using. Nothing in this hobby is cheap ;)

If you google "frio fish shoe" the chinese have already started making a cheap knock off of it. Not sure it's as well designed or not.

I have a Frio cold shoe and I LOVE it.

I've clipped mine to a YN-622n then flash on top and it's fine. It's very sturdy. Not sure if it would survive a bash on the floor but that's more an issue for your lightstand than the Frio.

I don't like those little metal ones because you have to make sure you tighten them up and sometimes it feels like they'll come loose unless you REALLY tighten them. Your flash just clips into place on the Frio.

The only issue I can think of is that you need a lightstand with the tripod screw on top or it won't fit. But yes I love it and it's well worth the tenner.

If you google "frio fish shoe" the chinese have already started making a cheap knock off of it. Not sure it's as well designed or not.
Might be worth a try for £3. But I'd try to leave cold shoes completely and mount flashes horizontally. Maybe eventually someone will release a good mass produced stretchy velcro bracket.

Last edited:
Back