Anyone notice price rises?

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Have been watching the price of the Nikon D700 for a few months now whilst saving up. About 6 weeks ago there was a £100 increase and then again over this weekend another £100 increase.
I am guessing this is due to the situation in Japan or is there somthing else going on?
I got my order in on Saturday before the latest increase and it has been despatched but it does seem a considerable increase. Having not been watching other models is it the same across the range?

Been checking on the D7000, went a bit up, amazon hiked it by 80 odd quid but it is now back where it was a little while ago 879.

Some of these price fluctuations for camera equipment are quite surprising. I've no other hobby/passion that has equipment price fluctuations as dramatic as Photography, and I do quite a few very expensive ones too (Downhill MTB etc etc etc)

The canon 70-200 2.8 IS II went up £100 last week. :(

D700 £1,900 at Wilkinsons.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit like petrol ... 1p off by the Chanceller but prices have still been hiked since, any excuse to boost profits at the customer's expense - then it is 'rip-off Britain' isn't it.

Try mountain biking. There are no price fluctuations there just extreme price increases from year to year.

Not sure about stocks, but CPB had seen it as low as £1470 ish and £1560 ish in recent weeks. Guess any newer model may be delayed.

I've noticed that when I got my D700 sept last year the price has risen and fallen below what I paid or it & now its gone higher... It actually increased the day after I ordered it - then dropped less in price than what I paid for it 2 weeks later :LOL:

Think the best way is if you have the £'s to buy it then get it instead of waiting for the price to fall....

Shooting's no better. Two years ago everything non-British went up 30% when the pound nose-dived and are still going up. We can't give fixed quotes to our customers because we have to wait to see what we're actually charged when things are delivered! :bang:

Tragic events in Japan have inevitably caused camera equipment to increase due to the old supply and demand rule (for example the Nikkor 70-28 2.8 VRII has risen in price at Grays twice since the earthquake/Tsunami, £1599 to £1625 and then to £1675 in a matter of ~ 3 weeks. I dread to think what the 2x V3 TC will cost when it finally arrives back in stock :sulk:).

But tell me this, once these stock levels are anywhere back to what they were previously, will we see a reduction in price, relatively speaking? Will we balls! As has been said, rip-off Britain lives on.

Nikon newbie said:
But tell me this, once these stock levels are anywhere back to what they were previously, will we see a reduction in price, relatively speaking? Will we balls! As has been said, rip-off Britain lives on.

You might want to take a look at the pricing graphs on CPB before making comments like the above. The camera market is both highly competitive and highly responsive.

Last edited:
I have. The average (and lowest ever) price has been gradually decreasing with time (albeit marginally) and then slightly plateaued over the last 10 months or so. And then the sharp rise!

Edit to follow your edit; Responsive yes, competitive no. That's my opinion of what we here in the UK face.

Last edited:
I have. The average (and lowest ever) price has been gradually decreasing with time (albeit marginally) and then slightly plateaued over the last 10 months or so. And then the sharp rise!

Edit to follow your edit; Responsive yes, competitive no. That's my opinion of what we here in the UK face.

? are you looking at the same graph?

The blue line (lowest price) continues to decrease, (even marginally) to today, although I will concede the highest price does increase , but even then only by £25

If you have that tight a price spread from cheapest to highest of only £125 on a very high value item shows you just how competitive the UK market is

Exchange rate at the time this pic was take £1=AUD$1.50

189046_184201698291500_100001050131285_455655_3921989_n.jpg

Current cheapest UK price for comparison is £307.80

Still think it's expensive here? :LOL:

People do often forget that when they quote US prices for things that they don't include US sales tax, and if importing legally (!) the import levy and VAT that have to be paid. Even not taking those into account our prices generally are not to bad once the US taxes have been added to their prices.

People do often forget that when they quote US prices for things that they don't include US sales tax, and if importing legally (!) the import levy and VAT that have to be paid. Even not taking those into account our prices generally are not to bad once the US taxes have been added to their prices.

As with many things, the US market is bigger and therefore can often maintain lower prices. When I was into Amateur Radio all the Japanese stuff was pounds for dollars, and that's when the pound was worth about 1.6 USD. Motorcycles are very similar too.

In general, the US has a larger market and lower retail taxes, although their import duty can be quite high at times.

Steve

Forgive my naivety but aren't alot of these manufactured in China, and therefore have less correlation to Japan? I think demand for photographical equipment is on the up, which is having an overall impact on prices.

Forgive my naivety but aren't alot of these manufactured in China, and therefore have less correlation to Japan? I think demand for photographical equipment is on the up, which is having an overall impact on prices.

atleast for Nikon, the high end stuff is manufactured in Sendai, lower end
is made in Thailand.

I think canon have the same sort of Japan high end/ rest somewhere else split

Prices have gone up in my eyes. Digital depot it went up to £1950ish. I bought mine from HDEW it arrived today and was only £1499 it was an import tho

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

If you think the D700 has risen in price have a look at the D3X price rises. :eek:

The Tsunami has affected some models more than others, which you would imagine correlates to where they are manufactured and where the stock is stored.

It is not just whether Nikon can make the cameras, it's all the manufacturers of the components, it's power to manufacture, it's transport links, and stock levels. It looks like the Nikon high end cameras have been hit prices wise. Though I see that the 1DS Mark III has risen in the same time.

If you want to see how much we are ripped off in the UK, look at Adobe's prices for downloads of their software.

Lightroom, UK download £239.58 - US download $299. The UK adjusted price is $390.43 :eek: No adjusting for import duty to affect that price.

And how does the download version cost more than them sending you the disc in a box? :bonk:

And if you're talking CS5 Extended, UK download £960.74 - US download $999. The UK adjusted price is $1,565.95. :eek: Again, the download is more expensive than getting sent the disc. So much for downloads savings being made on resources and the savings passed on to the user. :bonk:

And the Tax is added, at least in the UK at least. :bang:

Probably stealth taxes put on by this crap goverment, I cant belive the way they are bleeding the working classes of this country dry

Probably stealth taxes put on by this crap goverment, I cant belive the way they are bleeding the working classes of this country dry

Ill informed comment that I dont think has a place in this discussion. Care to highlight the so called stealth taxes bought in?

Yesterday morning I checked (online) Jessops price for a Nikon 24-120 f4 - £839. Had a look again in the evening and it was up to £869 and tagged as 'exclusive online discount'

Was sure I spotted a d7000 for around 800 a few days back and they seem to have shot up as well. Bummer. I'm currently hovering over a d7000 or a Canon 60d. By the time I've made my mind up I'll be requiring a second mortgage :-(

Was sure I spotted a d7000 for around 800 a few days back and they seem to have shot up as well. Bummer. I'm currently hovering over a d7000 or a Canon 60d. By the time I've made my mind up I'll be requiring a second mortgage :-(

Well if you see another one for £800 then let me know :)

Cheapest I had seen for a D7000 was RGB before they shut at £847 but the cheapest UK models seem to have gone up to around £890 now.:crying:

Back