Anyone use a 'generic' bag for their CSC?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to get a new smaller bag for my CSC stuff.
The lowepro rucksack I have from my Canon equipment is great for keeping everything together but a bit big now just for days out.

I am looking for something that isn't obvious as a camera bag too, and looked at smaller generic canvas or leather messenger bags.

Has anyone else done similar, or can recommend some decent quality bags to look at?

Needs to be able to hold one body, E-PL5 and 2 or 3 lenses. 12-40, 60mm and 75-300.

Budget up to £80.

I bought this one (link) and apart from constantly taking the mick out of myself and calling it a "maaan bag" its been pretty good - I will add though that I borroed the innards from a small camera bag I didn;t use just to give it a bottom layer and make a makeshift compartment area within the main body of the bag.

I usually use a Thinktank Retrospective 7, which I think would meet your needs but is well beyond the stated budget. But I also sometimes use a generic bag with an insert. For the inserts I use the cheap padded camera bags that Aldi/Lidl have on the tat aisle a coupe of times a year.

For generic bags, TK Maxx is worth a look if you want something cheap from a fairly random selection. But the end of summer sales are running at the moment, and I noticed last week that Debenhams had some nice canvas backpacks and messenger bags at half-price and M&S also have some nice looking bags on reduced price at the moment. Someone on one of the Fuji forums pointed me towards Stabo (www.stabo.co.uk) and said that they will customise any of their bags if you have an insert you want to match a bag to. They're almost local to me, but I haven't had chance to get down to one of their market days to see what their bags look like.

I bought this recently. I find it for 10£ cheaper somewhere else but can't find the link. It will be too small for a big slr and big lens but for CSC it's perfect. I could try to take some picture if you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crumpler-...raphy_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item3a87ae8a6e

The big plus with this bag is the space on top, there's enough space too put more stuff on top than any other camera bag I've had. Although the bag is pretty small overall, the top bit is the size of a 4L carton of wine! Alternatively I can put a hoodie, a small bottle of water and some lunch. The little down side is that I think the protection of the camera isn't 100% optimum. I had crumple bag before and it felt more rugged. But I'm not bashing my bag everywhere I think it's good enough for my use. Bought it on internet and didn't regret. Just wished from time to time this bag to be just a bit bigger.

To keep the weight down I have bought a Crumpler Light Delight 6000, I also used to use one when I had my Nikon D7000. I have had two Think Tank Retrospective 7 bags and allthough excellent I found the weight of them too heavy to start with @ circa 1.3kgs for my disablities.

The crumpler easily carries my 35mm f1.4, 28-105 f2.8 and 100-300 f4 lenses along with XT1 body. Also, it doesn't scream out camera bag and is waterproof.

Linky > http://www.crumpler.eu/index.cfm?se...ight-Delight---4000&sprache=EN&productID=8870

Excellent :)
Thank you for the suggestions and recommendations.
I have had a quick look at them and the Crumpler 6000 and the canvas messenger bag PaulH linked look more along the lines of what I am after.
The Think Tanks look quite nice, but more than I want to spend though - less money for lenses!

Might pop into TK Maxx though and see what they have. I can always use the dividers from my bigger rucksack too, so an insert isn't a must.

Might pop into TK Maxx though and see what they have. I can always use the dividers from my bigger rucksack too, so an insert isn't a must.

Have a look at these bags in the Debanhams clearance sale - http://www.debenhams.com/sale/men/bags

The Mantaray backpacks and satchels look quite stylish and should take an insert.

To keep the weight down I have bought a Crumpler Light Delight 6000, I also used to use one when I had my Nikon D7000. I have had two Think Tank Retrospective 7 bags and allthough excellent I found the weight of them too heavy to start with @ circa 1.3kgs for my disablities.

The crumpler easily carries my 35mm f1.4, 28-105 f2.8 and 100-300 f4 lenses along with XT1 body. Also, it doesn't scream out camera bag and is waterproof.

Linky > http://www.crumpler.eu/index.cfm?se...ight-Delight---4000&sprache=EN&productID=8870

Well I went with the slightly smaller '4000' model of this in the end. £34.48 on Amazon so decent price.
Just about right for what I would take with me on a 'normal' day out and feels OK on shoulder without overwhelming.
Rucksack useful for extra bits if needed.

Also bought a Black Rapid RS7 strap.

I have found them to be excellent and although they seem thinner compared to other makes they still offer good protection. I need the 6000 as it's the only bag I have, as mentioned, I sold the Think Tanks as they were to heavy to start with for my disabilities.

To add, with them being thinner, I find they mould to the body better and not rigid like similiar bags.

Back