Beginner Anyone using Apples new "Photos" software ??

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, downloaded the above app for my MacBook Pro last night and not sure it will actually do the one feature I require and that is to make my pictures have a better blue sky.

Anyone using it who could help ?

Many thanks

Tony

Yes, it can make the sky bluer and grass greener if thats what you want.

I was a long time Aperture user before I migrated to Lightroom.

I tried the new Photos but I don't like it. I don't like the oversimplified interface and there are missing features (like photo versions, brushes, plugins, etc.)

However, it cost nothing to try it - so give it a go and see.

I have been an Aperture user and, after Apple decided to pull the plug I thought I'd wait and see what the new Photos App would be like, but I am very disappointed, as Mirek pointed out no photo versions or brushes.
I will now wait and take a look at the Serif Affinity Photo app.

Gave it a bash as it was free. Not for me. Far too simplified, and I'm definitely not a fan of the iCloud sync. Although I would love some kind of device sych, I'd like it to be one way (from my iMac pushed to iPad and iPhones, not a huge great big merge of all three). I have Aperture and Lightroom, and for me it's a shame that Aperture is being deprecated as it has a lovely clean look, but retains many features that are now missing from Photos.

It's like Apple have given up trying to compete with Adobe.

I tried it on a beta a few months ago and was hoping that it would have features added, seems like the final release is just as rubbish!!

If you just want to make the sky more blue I'd get camera-bag 2 from the app store. Great app for quick edits like that.

You can't go wrong with lightroom though, well worth the CC subscription imo

Phew ,that's saved me making a huge mistake ,I'll carry on with aperture as long as possible ,but also look into Lightroom

Im going to stay with Aperture and i will keep whatever OP system I need to keep it working,does everything I need, Photos is ok for minimal edits.

I'm an Aperture user too and I'm not going to try Photos until I know a lot more about it. There'll be lots of full reviews and videos about it in due course. I only shoot RAW so it would have to be good for that. We'll see.

If you want to do any serious processing look elsewhere. It doesn't replace Aperture, Aperture is gone which is a shame because it could have been a contender. It's an improvement on iPhoto, it had to be, but as far as anything more serious than the usual tone and colour twiddles and some basic 'looks' forget it.

I'm an Aperture user too and I'm not going to try Photos until I know a lot more about it. There'll be lots of full reviews and videos about it in due course. I only shoot RAW so it would have to be good for that. We'll see.
Forget it as a replacement for aperture robin its far too basic for that. They have promised to support it through yosomite so you could keep using it but you might want to consider a change.

Forget it as a replacement for aperture robin its far too basic for that. They have promised to support it through yosomite so you could keep using it but you might want to consider a change.

....Yep, all online reviewers are saying the same - It's just a better replacement for iPhoto (which I no longer use).

I am very disappointed in Apple over this. Capture One sounds attractive as I'm not keen on renting which is what Adobe have done with Lightroom. No rush though and I don't usually install the next Mac OS until it's had a few updates to remove bugs and achieve more third party compatibility.

Ive installed Yosemite on an external hard drive and put Aperture on there,I shall just keep it like that and use the main updated as and when Mac for everything else,this way i can always use Aperture by booting into the external drive.

Ive installed Yosemite on an external hard drive and put Aperture on there,I shall just keep it like that and use the main updated as and when Mac for everything else,this way i can always use Aperture by booting into the external drive.

Why would you need to do that?

Why would you need to do that?

....Because the next Mac OS is unlikely to be able to run Aperture (although in fact we don't know that for certain) and so it means that a main computer can have its Mac OS updated independently but Yosemite + Aperture can be run from the external hard drive.

Best to make that external drive Thunderbolt connected and Solid State.

....Because the next Mac OS is unlikely to be able to run Aperture (although in fact we don't know that for certain) and so it means that a main computer can have its Mac OS updated independently but Yosemite + Aperture can be run from the external hard drive.

Best to make that external drive Thunderbolt connected and Solid State.

I'd be surprised if the next OS couldn't run Aperture as there is no app that Apple are trying to sell in it's place.

I'd be surprised if the next OS couldn't run Aperture as there is no app that Apple are trying to sell in it's place.

....That's why I said we don't know for certain - All we know is that Aperture won't be developed any further. But based on the fact that Aperture wouldn't run on Yosemite without an update (to 3.6) and that there won't be any future updates, I think it's reasonable to assume.

Apple have stated they will only support Aperture in Yosemite and no further :( whilst it might still run they will be no updates for it

It's totally academic now of course but I don't see why Apple could not have simply made 'Photos' the new version of iPhoto (which in most ways they have) and continued Aperture. They have massive resources nowadays. They have just given up on rivalling Adobe Lightroom and Adobe must be rubbing their hands in glee all the way to the bank.

What next? - Scrapping Logic and GarageBand to create one new App more suited to iOS users and naming it something as unimaginative as 'Music'?

In the long term I think they are foolish to put all their apples in just one basket. What would Steve Jobs have done I wonder. I'm sure he would have called it something more original than 'Photos'! iPhotos would have been more accurate.

In time I expect to migrate - One Capture Pro? or Lightroom?

As a Canon user there is the DPP option but I don't much like the interface - It's a bit too Windows-esque (earler Windows versions) and what I call clunky.

I must be one of the very few Aperture users who actually like it. Yes it's very limiting and doesn't offer anywhere near the same capabilities as Aperture did and no it won't be the only software you'll need if you want professional photo editing. But: iCloud integration and the Library appear to be fantastic. It carried over all my Aperture adjustments very well, although I suspect they're just full-size previews, and it does VERY well what I need it to do for most projects: RAW Conversion, Exposure, Highlights, Shadows, Levels, WB...

If my processing needs go beyond that, there's still Photoshop. And let's be honest, neither Lightroom nor Capture One are proper replacements for Photoshop most of the time.

Also, the optimist within me hopes that NIK, VSCO et al. will add some functionality to Photos in the future.

If my processing needs go beyond that, there's still Photoshop. And let's be honest, neither Lightroom nor Capture One are proper replacements for Photoshop most of the time.

Also, the optimist within me hopes that NIK, VSCO et al. will add some functionality to Photos in the future.

....I don't much like Photoshop for post-processing images except for Smart Sharpening but that's just me.

Do you think that third-party developers might turn Photos into something much more attractive to Aperture lovers?

It all depends on what you're after... if you're going to need excessive regional editing tools and very detailed colour adjustments, probably not, at least not in the near future. That part of it seems gone. I wouldn't hold my breath and migrate to LR or C1 at this point. I'm just saying, if some basic editing is all you need to do, the few tools that are there in Photos work really well. If they open it up to third party developers like they said they would, everything is possible but probably a few months or a year away...

All that said, I just took a very simple photo of a guitar pedal I'm selling with my X100S and my 430 EX II. This is how the OOC JPG looked:

21563706jf.jpg

And this is how it looks after just two minutes of moving around the sliders that are there – keep in mind, it was a JPG, not a RAW file that I tried Photos on:

21563711jd.jpg

If I was a professional photographer and had to rely on one app for all my editing needs, I'd move on. But for what I do, it might be enough. I'll give it a few weeks or months and see what I think after some more serious projects...

Last edited:
Yes, it can make the sky bluer and grass greener if thats what you want.

But can that be done independently ??

Can I for example just tweak the sky in a picture and not adjust anything else ?

But can that be done independently ??

Can I for example just tweak the sky in a picture and not adjust anything else ?

Aperture brushes are gone :( So whatever you do will affect everything on the picture.

At least, there is still a "levels" tool. Therefore you can adjust each colour channel separately.

I can't believe Im posting this but of course I'm not in any way a serious or anything more than a novice at applying after touches to photos but after a lot of messing about and trying different stuff,the last being using Capture NXd and ViewNX2 to edit and sort then to export to the new Photos app to create slideshows with music(my main thing)
I then put some Nefs in photos and edited a little instead to see the difference and to my beginners eye i actually couldn't see much difference if any between the Capture editing and the photos editing and it took a lot of time messing in capture,so I've deleted all the other stuff and Im just using Photos now and its quite a relief i must say.
I realise this is no use whatever for anyone who wants to do serious editing etc but for the casual photographers like myself you can save a lot of time and frustration I've found.
I think i am going to have to find a way of converting the Nef to Jpeg if i want to display on Flikr.
anyone got any ideas on that one?im editing the raw in photos ?
thanks

Last edited:
Ok I've just realised I can export from photos either the original or as Jpeg,so sorted,I'm happy.more time to play my guitars and take more photos :)

Oh brilliant thanks for that.
Shame about the pedal but at least I'm not tempted to spend more money :)

GAS on guitars ( and basses in my case ) is every bit as bad as it is with cameras :)

lol Agreed Tony,i can't get any more on my bedroom walls :) and i have a 12 string coming any day now:)

Oh and i don't play bass but just had to have the Hofner Bass and absolutely love it with the Flatwounds on :)

Last edited:
Must admit I was quite lucky a few years ago and bought a bargain Geddy Lee signature Jazz and it's just such a dream to play I haven't found anything better since as a gigging bass although I did buy a fretless recently that I am getting to grips with.

So....

Is it really likely that third-party developers will in time offer extras to the Apple Photos App which will make it a more powerful editor approaching Aperture? - I think it unlikely but even if they did, those irritating features like face recognition etc would put me off as it did with iPhoto.

Let's face it, 'Photos' is just a replacement for iPhoto and improves it for the phone camera users and not serious image creators be they professional or amateur photographers.

I'm going to continue using Aperture for as long as I can and not jump ship until I find a proven viable alternative which I like. I stopped using iPhoto as soon as I got to grips with Aperture and started shooting exclusively RAW.

Back