Are all rear caps the same on Canon lens?

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
No
Looking through my kit and noticed one of my lens was missing a rear cap. 50mm F/1.8. I'm looking to sell this quickly but I took my 17-40L's rear cap and put it on the 50mm instead. There is no monetary value between the rear caps you buy from a retailer and or ebay?

All of the Canon ones I have are identical (even between EF & EF-S), however some of the non-Canon ones won't fit on an EF-S lens (due to the protruding rear element of the EF-S)

I've got 4 Canon lenses and 1 Sigma lens at the moment and all the caps fit each other snugly. I tried some EF-S caps as well and they fit also. The only difference between the Sigma and the Canon is the name isn't on the Sigma when it is on the Canon caps.

Yes the rear caps are the same.. but I'm not happy that the 1.4x and 2x extenders have a different "body cap" than the EOS bodies.. grrrrr :razz:

Yes the rear caps are the same.. but I'm not happy that the 1.4x and 2x extenders have a different "body cap" than the EOS bodies.. grrrrr :razz:

It's because they require a different depth. Why would you not be happy about that?

Huh? The "body cap" (which I'm taking to be the one that goes in the space where the lens fits) from my TCs are interchangeable with "genuine" body caps... but the rear caps from the TCs are definitely shallower than the original piece (and indeed a Cosina one I picked up from somewhere)

It's because they require a different depth. Why would you not be happy about that?

Because it's unnecessary, they could have made the EOS body caps the same size .. cheaper too to produce only one part?

Because it's unnecessary, they could have made the EOS body caps the same size .. cheaper too to produce only one part?

Canon do only make one size though (as far as I can see - looking at a new one from an EF-S lens and one I know to be from 1989) - it's the aftermarket ones that are variable in depth(probably to ward off legal issues with Canon)

Back