Are there any exsperianced canon 50d owners out there.

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
As title.
Would like thoughts on glass you like use and maybe some picture links if pos?

Hi there,

Not sure on the Experienced bit, but I've been using a 50D since it came out. Current glass is a 70-300 f/4-5.6L (I usually have two cameras with me, the other is a 6D with 24-105 f/4L, this one is for longer shots). I used to use it with the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, and it was very good glass.

Do you have some specific questions?

-simon

I shot over 120,000 images on my 50D over 4 years. Loved it at the time.

What sort of range are you looking for?
I had the canon EFS 10-22, Ef 24-105, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 100-400, 50mm f1.4

To be honest i have just picked up a 70-200 f4 non is, after about 6 months research asking questions and getting opinions (and saving) (two mortgages and 3 kids :help:) I opted for this one due to peoples thoughts and also it was in my price range. Now Iv only had it a week but Im a little disappointed in it. Which after all the reviews puts it down to either me (most likely) or my 50d. So was really after a few comments to rule out the 50d as i think im trying to expect more out of it then it can do.
I will post a couple of images up taken with the 70-200 but i had a mare yesterday and deleted my images off LR by accident. I think i managed to save them but god knows where they have gone??
With that if anyone as any images from the same kind off set up they would like share then that would be great.

to me its the lack off sharpness. I was under the impression that the 70-200l was tac sharp but mine never seem to be! I have tried quite a few set ups i.e changing shutter speed upping iso ect but I just don't no what it is. Will hunt for examples now!

I've got a 70-200 F4, my son's currently got it. I used it with my 40D, possibly my 50D also. Loved it - sharp, light, a great lens
My son then used it with a 400D and now a 600D.

until I get home and search Lightroom for metadata I couldn't give examples, but Pbase shows these galleries:

http://www.pbase.com/search?q=50d+70-200+F4&x=0&y=0

This was shot on a tripod with remote trigger. To me it seems hayzee with no true point off vocus. I had the AF point set to center.

Looks to me as though the focus is on the leaf to the left of the photo, that also happens to be the nearest object

Could be front focusing and if so maybe some micro adjustment in camera could help.

I did try some micro adjustment last night but all seem to be fine! Infact it was spot on!

here's a couple of photo's taken with a 50d and the 70 - 200mm F4 L ( non is ) lens all taken sometime in 2010

50d - 70 -200mm F4 L at 104mm F5 1/800 ISO 100

50d - 70 - 200mm F4 L at 200mm F7.1 1/50th ISO 100

50d - 70 - 200mm F4 L at 200mm F5 1/200th ISO 200

50d - 70 - 200mm F4 L at 200mm F5 1/200th ISO 200 ( very heavily cropped )

should give you an idea of the performance of the camera / lens combo

looking at the image how far away was you ?
it looks like you might have been closer than the minimum focal distance hence the background being in focus and not the subject
I was about 2-2.5 meters away?

I was about 2-2.5 meters away?

as long as the minimum focus distance switch was set to 1.2m and not 3m 2 - 2.5 meters should have been ok
but if you were only about 2 meters away from the front of the lens you would have been borderline minimum distance the distance is from the sensor to the subject not from the end of the lens to subject ( you might already know this ) and it would go some way to explaining why the focus is mostly behind the subject

have you tried photographing something further away

another point is your depth of field at 2 meters is going to be quite narrow even at f8, if you look at the photo of the 2 model bikes i posted the camera is no more than a couple of meters away the bikes are approx 3 inches long the focus starts going off about 1 inch ( ish ) into the bikes
granted the aperture was F7.1 but there isn't much difference at F8 at that distance

if you combine all this together it might be whats happening with the image you posted

Last edited:
Downloaded original for a shufty. Antennae, edge of leaf to left, and rear most of central pink flowers appear in focus. Focal point appears to be behind your butterfly. Difficult to be sure of the reason from one shot.

I had a shufty at the original. Antennae, rearmost of central pink flowers, and edge of leaf to left of butterfly appear pretty much in focus. Your focal point appears to be behind your butterfly. Difficult to say why from one image.
FWIW all of my lenses have needed MFA on my 50D - not all in the same direction, and the Canon L lenses are the worst!

I had a shufty at the original. Antennae, rearmost of central pink flowers, and edge of leaf to left of butterfly appear pretty much in focus. Your focal point appears to be behind your butterfly. Difficult to say why from one image.
FWIW all of my lenses have needed MFA on my 50D - not all in the same direction, and the Canon L lenses are the worst!

Funny that. When I forst got focus adjust on the 50D I played and all my lenses were more or less spot on and I was happy with the quality so never adjusted.
Did the same test with my 5D mk3 and haven't needed to adjust either

Funny that. When I forst got focus adjust on the 50D I played and all my lenses were more or less spot on and I was happy with the quality so never adjusted.
Did the same test with my 5D mk3 and haven't needed to adjust either

i have an old 300mm f4 L that needs MFA ( - 14 i think ) but apart from that my other lenses seem fine but it's easy to fool yourself into thinking there slightly off when it's usually user error mostly camera shake

Last edited:
Set up the camera on a tripod, manual focus & liveview + 5 or 10x zoom. Take some images at various distances that are 100% crisp / accurate focus in LV and post up the results.

It's hard to judge fully the issue based on one image that could be user error!

i have an old 300mm f4 L that needs MFA ( - 14 i think ) but apart from that my other lenses seem fine but it's easy to fool yourself into thinking there slightly off when it's usually user error mostly camera shake
Yeah my 300 f4 is the worst too- massively front focussed on my 50D. I suspect it's more of an issue on long teles used at distance.
I did my MFA adjustments based on about 800 shots with a tripod and self timer- so it wasn't just my imagination or drinker's hands. ;)

Yeah my 300 f4 is the worst too- massively front focussed on my 50D. I suspect it's more of an issue on long teles used at distance.
I did my MFA adjustments based on about 800 shots with a tripod and self timer- so it wasn't just my imagination or drinker's hands. ;)
I did similar with my bodies, when my 6D arrive i'd burned through close to a 1000 images in the first night just MFA my lens to the body. Testing, testing and more testing to know 100% if it captures focus it's accurate and later if i find OOF shots then i know it was me :D

For some strange reason i find the shot is a bit sharper at a higher iso! i just then mellow it down in pp

Got to say i don't think it looks that sharp in that shot. I've never owned the f4 lens so it might be how sharp it is but that image looks a tad soft. The reason is probably due to high ISO which makes pixels mushy and also the fact its not a contrasty image.

Got to say i don't think it looks that sharp in that shot. I've never owned the f4 lens so it might be how sharp it is but that image looks a tad soft. The reason is probably due to high ISO which makes pixels mushy and also the fact its not a contrasty image.

at 2000 iso on a 50d there will be quite a bit of noise reduction going on it's the sort of result i would expect with any lens
anything above 1600 iso and the 50d is quite a noisy camera

Not sure! if you delete it from flicr will it not show up! Mind you I can see it as i type this?

Not sure! if you delete it from flicr will it not show up! Mind you I can see it as i type this?
You're probably looking at your browsers cached version as it's gone:

Page Not Found
Oops! Looks like you followed a bad link.

If you think this is a problem with Flickr, please tell us.

Here's a link to the home page.

Last edited:
Back