Are these green tits?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Had quite a few blue tits in our garden but first time I've seen these little fellows :)

birds2.png

Looks like theye were waiting for a meal in the first shot.

PS

The fat balls - always best to remove them from the green mesh as birds do get tangled and perish.

Looks like they were waiting for a meal in the first shot.

PS

The fat balls - always best to remove them from the green mesh as birds do get tangled and perish.

WOW! Okay thanks for that, didn't know, I do watch them and have thought how difficult it looks for them eating out of them. I've seen the fat ball dispensers in shops but always thought they were just unnecessary and another way of you getting to part with your hard earned English (or Scottish) :).

Again thanks.

Always good to see juveniles about Simon. A fairly nice set but I am wondering what lens you are using for these? All of them imo seem oof for whatever reason, no exif available so cannot guess at it.

Looks like theye were waiting for a meal in the first shot.

PS

I was going to say! Unfortunately recently I have seen bird feeders that are designed for fat balls to be hung out in the mesh bags.

Nice shots, I am yet to see a baby blue tit!

Always good to see juveniles about Simon. A fairly nice set but I am wondering what lens you are using for these? All of them imo seem oof for whatever reason, no exif available so cannot guess at it.

It's a 70-200 f2.8 and I couldn't agree more! It really is doing my head in. I get shots like these all the time.

I've just had a look at the info ..... f2.8, 1/1000, ISO 125, focal length 140 mm. They are straight out of the camera, cropped and one auto enhance in Photoshop.

These were shot with Manuel Select: Single Point AF, Spot Metering and Al Servo.

I keep playing around with the A F settings, when I try and focus on the bird the focus flips between the bird the twig, sometimes the background and all the time the camera is 'on' the bird.

I have asked elsewhere is there anyway to make the point of focus smaller so it doesn't pick up secondary ponts. Please help, it really is so annoying.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I was going to say! Unfortunately recently I have seen bird feeders that are designed for fat balls to be hung out in the mesh bags.

Nice shots, I am yet to see a baby blue tit!

Not wishing to wind you up but I've just counted six Blue tits in the garden, at least four are juveniles. :D

Simon, for a start you'd be better working at F7.1 - F8 or above for birds really, otherwise your dof is just too skinny (unless you are going for a particular look)

The images seem awful noisy for ISO 125! are you cropping a lot? if so why not zoom in as you mention 140mm as your focal length. If you are shooting raw then you need to sharpen in photoshop.

Try using one shot rather than AI servo and see if the kit is still hunting for focus.

Spot AF gives you a smaller AF point, but is not always the best option as it can make getting the focus lock trickier in certain circumstances.

Tara

It's a 70-200 f2.8 and I couldn't agree more! It really is doing my head in. I get shots like these all the time.

I've just had a look at the info ..... f2.8, 1/1000, ISO 125, focal length 140 mm. They are straight out of the camera, cropped and one auto enhance in Photoshop.

These were shot with Manuel Select: Single Point AF, Spot Metering and Al Servo.

I keep playing around with the A F settings, when I try and focus on the bird the focus flips between the bird the twig, sometimes the background and all the time the camera is 'on' the bird.

I have asked elsewhere is there anyway to make the point of focus smaller so it doesn't pick up secondary ponts. Please help, it really is so annoying.

Thanks.

Simon, for a start you'd be better working at F7.1 - F8 or above for birds really, otherwise your dof is just too skinny (unless you are going for a particular look)

The images seem awful noisy for ISO 125! are you cropping a lot? if so why not zoom in as you mention 140mm as your focal length. If you are shooting raw then you need to sharpen in photoshop.

Try using one shot rather than AI servo and see if the kit is still hunting for focus.

Spot AF gives you a smaller AF point, but is not always the best option as it can make getting the focus lock trickier in certain circumstances.

Tara

Thanks Tara, my logic for using f2.8 was that I could have the shutter speed as fast as possible so I'd capture movement.

Didn't think I was cropping a lot but I must be.

I am shooting raw but haven't been doing too much in photoshop as I wanted opinions on my photos not ones that have been manipulated. I'll give it a go and hopefully will get some improved results.

I'll use one shot and try that.

I'll try some other metering settings.

Thanks again for your help, really appreciated ... a virtual
eat-drink-smiley-5152.gif
for you!

personally i would use single focus when there in the trees etc and use 1 focus point (usually the middle one) for flying shots id use continuous af. as far as f2.8 this is quite shallow. i would use manual mode @200mm or get closer so you dont have to crop.raise my shutter to 800-1000 (all dependent on how fast the birds are moving etc) then raise the f stop to f5.6 - f8 (all light dependent) as you raise the fstop you will intern have to raise the iso or lower the shutter speed to balance the exposure. as far as metering i would leave it on Evaluative the default setting.sorry if im being abit basic you may know all this.

another factor for sharp shots @200mm is camera control. when i first started i held the camera quite far from the body and chased the birds like a loon. i found it was better to breath tuck in the elbows good stance etc or sit on a chair and rest the elbows to steady the shot. finally practice practice and then practice

hope this helps.

Wez

Last edited:
personally i would use single focus when there in the trees etc and use 1 focus point (usually the middle one) for flying shots id use continuous af. as far as f2.8 this is quite shallow. i would use manual mode @200mm or get closer so you dont have to crop.raise my shutter to 800-1000 (all dependent on how fast the birds are moving etc) then raise the f stop to f5.6 - f8 (all light dependent) as you raise the fstop you will intern have to raise the iso or lower the shutter speed to balance the exposure. as far as metering i would leave it on Evaluative the default setting.sorry if im being abit basic you may know all this.

another factor for sharp shots @200mm is camera control. when i first started i held the camera quite far from the body and chased the birds like a loon. i found it was better to breath tuck in the elbows good stance etc or sit on a chair and rest the elbows to steady the shot. finally practice practice and then practice

hope this helps.

Wez

Thanks Wez, nothing is too basic at all. It's all really interesting and useful.

Cheers,
Simon.

Back