Are your using Internet Explorer

Forced to I'm afraid, company policy. Only yesterday I got told off for using Firefox. The worst thing is that it's IE 6 I have to use - I don't even get tabs :(

At home, it's Chrome.

One of the reasons large companies still use IE6 is because their company intranets force them too. I think this was one of the largest reasons why Microsoft released 7 and 8 as separate applications rather then upgrades to IE6.

The intranet here doesn't require IE6, it's primarily a security concern around unsupported browsers. There are also a massive number of users, and a migration to IE 7 or 8 would require a huge effort (and incur considerable cost). There is just no justification for it at the moment, so IE6 will remain!

IE v Netscape
IE v Opera
IE v Firefox

HIstory repeats itself and IE is still the most populor browser on the planet.. But like anything thats populor and the best there is.. everyone wants to shoot it down.. esp the hackers.

Been using IE for too many years to count and as an ex web developer (no i didnt make websites) i used IE because i wanted to see what the majority of users could see. I had many others browsers installed to check for compatability but IE has always been the most populor...

One of the reasons large companies still use IE6 is because their company intranets force them too. I think this was one of the largest reasons why Microsoft released 7 and 8 as separate applications rather then upgrades to IE6.

we're stuck with 7 due to software constraints form 3rd party packages. "officially" they dont work with 8. although i do every day they just refuse to support you otherwise.

Hmmmm - conspicuous lack of hard facts in this thread.
Here's a decent breakdown of the problem and it's scope.

If you are on XP then you are fine as long as you are using IE8
If you are on Vista or Windows 7 then you are fine as long as Protected Mode is ON.
All combinations are safe if you disable Javascript (but that's not particularly useful)

So assuming people are updating their browsers then the vast majority will be fine.
The only people with real problems are the corporate users who haven't rolled out upgrades - and that's M$'s biggest long term problem other than all the scaremongering in the news.

For the record - I primarily use FF but my PC is also capable of running Safari, Chrome, IE5.5, IE6, IE7 and IE8 for testing our software.
Website stats show 75% of our customers use IE and we suspect they are unlikely to be changing, so this is of great interest to us....

From Microsoft Security

Affected Software

Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2

Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition Service Pack 2

Windows Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium-based Systems

Windows Vista, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, and Windows Vista Service Pack 2

Windows Vista x64 Edition, Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 1, and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 2

Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems and Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 2

Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems and Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems Service pack 2

Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems Service Pack 2

Windows 7

Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems

Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-based Systems

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 on Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3, and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 6 for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium-based Systems, and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3, and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium-based Systems, and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows Vista x64 Edition, Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 1, and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems and Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems and Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3, and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 8 in Windows Vista, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows Vista x64 Edition, Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 1, and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 8 in Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems and Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 8 in Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems and Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems

Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

Internet Explorer 8 in Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems

Internet Explorer 8 in Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-based Systems

Non-Affected Software

Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 4 for Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

No worries, extra pigeons have arrived!

Have used Firefox & Thunderbird for years both are excellent IMHO :)

I went back to using IE a while back because the number of sites my FF just didn't want to talk to made my head hurt!

BBC News Website said:
Microsoft will patch a hole in its Internet Explorer browser that may have allowed Chinese hackers access to human rights activists' e-mail accounts.

The firm normally issues patches at a set time each month but said that the attention the problem had received forced it to move more quickly.

It follows the French and German governments decision to advise citizens to use other browsers.

The bad publicity has allowed rivals such as Firefox to gain market share.

According to web analytics company StatCounter Firefox is now a close second to Internet Explorer (IE) in Europe, with 40% of the market compared to Microsoft's 45% share.

In some markets, including Germany and Austria, Firefox has overtaken IE, the firm said.

Microsoft said it had now decided to act on the security hole.

"Given the significant level of attention this issue has generated, confusion about what customers can do to protect themselves and the escalating threat environment Microsoft will release a security update out-of-band for this vulnerability," said Microsoft's general manager of Microsoft's trustworthy computing security group George Stathakopoulos.

"We take the decision to go out-of-band very seriously given the impact to customers, but we believe releasing an update is the right decision at this time," he said.

He said that the only successful attacks "to date" were against IE 6.

"We continue to recommend customers update to Internet Explorer 8 to benefit from the improved security protection it offers," he said in a security advisory.

Following the high profile attacks on Google, Microsoft admitted that IE was a "weak link" in the attacks.

It said that the vulnerability could allow hackers to remotely run programs on infected machines.

The recent spate of attacks were alleged to have hit more than 30 companies including Google and Adobe.

Google threatened to withdraw from the Chinese market following the attacks.

I went back to using IE a while back because the number of sites my FF just didn't want to talk to made my head hurt!

I installed Firefox on my employer's computer this morning when he couldn't get IE (whatever version comes with Windows 7) to open a pdf copy of his tax return on the HMRC website. FF had no problem.

Seems that you need at least two browsers to see the whole of the www these days. Perhaps if we all went back to HTML 3.0 and abandoned client side scripting it would be possible to write browsers that all worked with all standards compliant web pages ....

As a consumer you only need to choose a browser and use it.. You want to try designing websites that work in all the browsers. For starters, they render differently, secondly, some users turn off scripting and the like. Thirdly, they keep constantly updating them and changing the goalposts etc. etc.

We are in a really complex situation where different browsers (and servers, and OS's) are effected by different exploits, in certain configuration of operating systems. No wonder anyone who thinks about it for more than a second gets in a tizzy

It isnt even enough to say install the latest updates and keep Norton / AVG / SOPHOS running

pretty hard work all the way around

To flesh out the efforts on the other side of the coin

A week a go a site of mine was hacked. A week before that it was (routinely) totally updated and checked against all know vunerabilities and certified as PCI compliant. The check the compliance company does bombards the site for a couple of hours with every trick and exploit they know. the site was resilient to these atacks a few days before the exploit

After searcing the logs, the source of the issue was resolved, and the site cleaned and the complaince company confirmed the site was not vunerable to said issue. Now the company is failing other sites for the issue, and using the fix we arrived at at midnight, as the Std recommended fix. The whole process form hack to fix took 9 hours. The updated security fix was confirmed a hour later and the issue circulated immediatally. Its not just your browsers folks, it is the webservers, the websites themselves and everything else in the chain

Browsers in a Windows environment are a personal preference. Don't get too hung up on the "bugs and vulnerabilities" thing. If there is an issue, Microsoft will release a patch.
The main thing with Windows is to keep your patch level up to date and ensure you have an effective anti-virus/anti-malware installed and kept up to date. Mostly though, never run your computer with administrative privileges unless undertaking configuration or installing/removing software etc.

HTML 4 isn't totally to blame....
For example, Here's an enlightening tongue in cheek potted history of User Agents declared by browsers.

I've just been updating our web apps browser sniffing code as it wasn't correctly identifying the browser and version from some of the more weird User Agent combinations.
That link may be meant as fun, but it's actually one of the best references I've found as the seemingly random crap in the User Agent string suddenly starts to make sense.

A new security update is now available from windows update to patch IE.

Also today, Firefox 3.6 is now available.

A new security update is now available from windows update to patch IE.

Also today, Firefox 3.6 is now available.

Just a pity Microsoft did not patch it when they were first told about the vulnerability last August

I use IE8 on my Vista x64 workstation at the office. I tried Firefox, but I actually found it ran slower and had problems logging into certain some websites.

Never had any issues personally with IE since 1999 and I like the fact that IE is built into the OS.

Yes, still using IE8, now patched and super-safe.

Back