Arrrrggggggghhhhhh Cheap Extension Tubes

Name
Slartibartfast.
Edit My Images
Yes
Just received some really cheap extension tubes from ebay. After seeing a thread that a Canon user had posted on OcUK.

Anyway it would seem (unless I'm doing something monumentally daft), that Nikon lenses stop all the way down instead of wide open when attached to these beauties.

Am I right in thinking that the only practical way to use these is with a lens that has an aperture ring? I can barely see anything through the viewfinder.

Not sure if this works on a Nikon but I read that setting the required aperture then holding down the DOF preview button, and removing the lens without turning off will set it at that aperture.

Yep, unless your rings have the lever to mechanically relay between the lens and camera body you'll lose aperture control. Of course older lenses with aperture rings will work without aperture control on the body. I don't know about cheap rings, but the Kenko rings have both the aperture control and electrical connections.

Not sure if this works on a Nikon but I read that setting the required aperture then holding down the DOF preview button, and removing the lens without turning off will set it at that aperture.

That's not going to work on Nikon, the aperture springs closed.

Last edited:
:puke:

Oh well they were only cheap. I might look for an old Nikon MF lens with an aperture ring.

It will still be a pain in the ass.............you have to have it wide open to focus or its that dark you cant see anything......then without moving a fraction step down to f16ish to get some DOF then take the image - all without your subject crawling off - Best place for cheap ebay tubes is the bin. be carefull with the ally filings that come off as you un-screw the tubes - not very good for the sensor. Get some auto tubes

I made some small plastic wedges to hold the aperture lever in the lens in the desired position. Cheapest cludge I've ever come up with :clap:

Back