As the light fades

Name
Wayne
Edit My Images
Yes
Here is my attempt at using filters to get a good sunset/last light shot.
I used a 1.2 & 0.9 ND Grad filter stacked, processed using Lightroom. Still some way to go before I get to where I want to be..

Last light of the day by waywal, on Flickr

Cheers,
Wayne

Hi Wayne
thats a real surrreal shot...is that where you are heading to..
i prefer strong atmospherics beefed up in pp...not a user nor really a fan of the cokin type colouration method

cheers
geof

Last edited:
Thanks for the critique Geof.
I'm trying to get the hang of filters to help with the 'dreamy' effect that it gives to clouds & big skies..

I haven't really scratched the surface with Lightroom, a long way to go with learning all the tricks of the software.
Still lots to do I feel.

Cheers,
Wayne

What filters are you using?

I suspect that by stacking them it has caused a colour cast which i think you have made worse by upping the saturation etc in PP.

Sorry Wayne, it's way OTT for my tastes. The colour of the sky is incongruous with the land.

Thanks everyone. I agree entirely. Not the result I wanted.
I think I rushed a little to keep the right conditions-light wise. It just got worse as I was stacking to try & keep the exposure down. A bit more reading & practice I think.

Thanks again,
Wayne

Thanks everyone. I agree entirely. Not the result I wanted.
I think I rushed a little to keep the right conditions-light wise. It just got worse as I was stacking to try & keep the exposure down. A bit more reading & practice I think.

Thanks again,
Wayne

(y)

thats it Wayne...dont be afraid to post and get good critique and you will be improving all the time
cheers
geof

Hi Wayne,

Yep that colour cast is by using a too strong filter(s).

To estimate the maximum filter required do the following.

1. Point the camera at a mid tone on the floor, grass is a good mid tone to use.

2. Take a meter reading.

3. Point the camera at the sky.

4. take another meter reading and note the difference between the two.

If your readings show a 2 stop difference between land and sky then do not use a filter(s) any strong than 2 stops.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Hiya and welcome to the forum!

a) Some of my thoughts, the sky is too saturated and unfortunately does not look very realistic

b) Do check your horizon, it seems a bit lobsided

c) There appears to be some dust spots in your image, these can be cloned out

d) think about composition and leadin lines to re-enforce the strength of the image, a good book to read is Seeing Creatively by Bryan Peterson,

Happy Photographing

andy

Hi Wayne,

Yep that colour cast is by using a too strong filter(s).

To estimate the maximum filter required do the following.

1. Point the camera at a mid tone on the floor, grass is a good mid tone to use.

2. Take a meter reading.

3. Point the camera at the sky.

4. take another meter reading and note the difference between the two.

If your readings show a 2 stop difference between land and sky then do not use a filter(s) any strong than 2 stops.

Let us know how you get on.

This is a good explination of metering for filters!(y)

But i think the colour cast has been caused by stacking cheap filters and not over grading!

You can over grad a sky for dramatic effect with out creating colour casts if using decent filters!

I'm really grateful for your comments guys. I'm excited now to get back out & practise, practise, practise!!
Excellent advice, I really am grateful to you all for taking the time to help me along (y)(y)

Back