ASDA REFUSAL

Name
mel
Edit My Images
Yes
3 weeks ago i took some pictures of a friends family ( first paid job ) and after having a very good seating i went home to process and print my images and would you believe it the printer decided to tell me the inks were incompatable, so i thought ok i will go to ASDA with my pictures on a memory stick and get them to print them ( 6 x 4 ) x 5, when i got there i was asked if i had proof/letter from the owner of the pictures to get them printed... amazed and gob smacked i told her that i had produced them, the member of staff from ASDA said " they look professional" and would like to see some proof!!! "I DONT HAVE ANY", i cried , well sorry sir but we cant print them. I dont understand what they wanted.. my passport, company card, what!!

any advice.....:thumbsdown:

lol that's one of those instances where you don't know whether to be offended or pleased.

Incompatible inks? What's that all about?

Someone had this issue before but I can't remember who it was or how it was rectified (goes into trance trying to remember).

Take your memory card with the original unprocessed pics on if you still have it, if not take your camera along?

Fair play to ASDA to be honest - protecting the copyright of the photographer (unfortunately in this case they are protecting you from yourself)

3 weeks ago i took some pictures of a friends family ( first paid job ) and after having a very good seating i went home to process and print my images and would you believe it the printer decided to tell me the inks were incompatable, so i thought ok i will go to ASDA with my pictures on a memory stick and get them to print them ( 6 x 4 ) x 5, when i got there i was asked if i had proof/letter from the owner of the pictures to get them printed... amazed and gob smacked i told her that i had produced them, the member of staff from ASDA said " they look professional" and would like to see some proof!!! "I DONT HAVE ANY", i cried , well sorry sir but we cant print them. I dont understand what they wanted.. my passport, company card, what!!

any advice.....:thumbsdown:

I'd have said eff off, I'm gonna Tesco's. Every little helps:D(y)

I'm gonna Tesco's. Every little helps

lol...pmsl thats funny

I'm gonna Tesco's. Every little helps

lol...pmsl thats funny

Why, thank you kind sir. It's nice to bring a little bit of pleasure into somebody's life(y)(y)

Be flattered they looked pro? :D

Pain in the arse, but hey, they were protecting your work. I am aware of the irony mind :D

i would have used TOGSPRINT (lee) but had a max of 2 hrs before i left for spain. never considered using ASDA before but i was forced into it, i can see where they were coming from but i still cant understand how i prove it??

Good for asda. Do they print on the spot business cards. Get them to make you some, then you will be okay

Incompatible inks? What's that all about?

ive had lots of issues with my printer and ink compatablity recently

Oh your printer! I thought you meant a printer as in a printing service provider. Understand now.

there is a positive side to all of this, they think your pictures are amzing by using the term "professional":LOL:. now lets be serious, i dont know how they could not let you print them off just because they are done professionally.

A bit like being asked for I.D in an off-license.

They must have had problems with copyright or sum such thing for them to take this stance.

or they have been bitten before and have learnt and expensive lesson.

I wonder what "TogsPrint" take on this would be???

Last edited:
Get them sent off to a lab...generally won't have a problem then! Asda do not deserve your business :D

or they have been bitten before and have learnt and expensive lesson.

I wonder what "TogsPrint" take on this would be???

LOL.

It would depend on your processing young Mel :razz: :LOL:

Get them sent off to a lab...generally won't have a problem then! Asda do not deserve your business :D

so would you say that if i sent the shots off to a lab then i dont need and proof!!:wacky:

It's difficult as we're not seeing the person on the end of the phone/internet order.
We 99% of the time deal with photographers so you expect the images they're having printing to be done by themselves. However, I guess it boils down to who's breaking the law. You for wanting to print images you don't own/have the right to or me for printing them? If we're in the dark so to speak...who is liable?

We put in our terms and conditions of accepting an order:

'togsPrint.com has no responsibility to check whether or not the file has copyright applied to it and will pass on any claims or breeches to you. Please note that we will not print any images which have a copyright stamp on them and may terminate your account on receiving such a file.'

I've had a couple of people who have blatantly taken a CD of images from a rather well know high street photography company and asked me to print them. It's not worth it...

so would you say that if i sent the shots off to a lab then i dont need and proof!!:wacky:

It's harder for a remote lab to determine whether or not the pictures are yours or not. I mean, the lass behind the counter probably took a look at you and thought 'aye, righto.....!'.

However, me knowing you is different :)

thanks togsprint (lee)

PMSL

would a slap count as id:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I've sent in studio shots to DS Colour Labs, then gone to collect them the next day after a day out bird photographing, looking like a right old scruff and they have never questioned me to prove I took them!

As said...labs tend to expect to be working with photographers. Asda expect to be working with families and their holiday snaps!

While I would certainly share in your frustration if I were in a similar position I'd be thankful that they are afterall protecting photographers copyrights - Go to vista print, pay £10 and get yourself a bucket full of business cards - that should satisfy them and if anyone else ever expresses how professional your photos are, give them a card and treat it as an opportunity.

would ASDA print them if you were a pro tog, and were selling the images or pics, i know that when they have offers on certain food & drink items, they try not to serve to hotels & pubs, my staff have been restricted when it comes to buying food & Drink..

'togsPrint.com has no responsibility to check whether or not the file has copyright applied to it and will pass on any claims or breeches to you. Please note that we will not print any images which have a copyright stamp on them and may terminate your account on receiving such a file.'

I'm assuming if there is an image with a copyright stamp on it and the customer can show that they are the legal copyright holder of the image then you would print it if they wanted it doing for a reason?

now theres a thought!!!( reguarding mass production ), ive also done the vista print and got cards but ive passed those around and cant see them as being proof of any kind.

personally i'd take it as a complement and in future use a remote lab and explain your circumstances to the client for delivery times, i've used asda before and had no issues however i was using one of their standalone printers for ease of use.

on the other hand, i done a session for a friend and his family, printed off a few 6x4's at home and gave them permission to get enlargements, the place that they took them too questioned if they had permission to reproduce them and the went ahead with the prints, i guess them placing the question to the customer was enough to cover their backs

I'm assuming if there is an image with a copyright stamp on it and the customer can show that they are the legal copyright holder of the image then you would print it if they wanted it doing for a reason?

It's very unlikely that a copyright owner would have an image with 'Copyright Photographer X' though. But yes - proof of license to print is fine.

Like I say, it's usually photographers with logo / signature on that have any marks on them :)

The EXIF info on my photos contains my camera serial number. My ACDSee picture viewer can display the picture with all the EXIF info alongside. A screen shot of this printed out, with my camera to show them the serial number should suffice. If not, then tell them where to stick it.

As for them asking you for some proof, you should have asked them by what means, specifically. If they can't come up with a method to satisfy themselves, then how can they expect you to?

i dont know how they could not let you print them off just because they are done professionally.

Tesco have a sign at their photo processing area saying something similar.

It is to stop you getting your wedding or portrait photographs done, buying the minimum number of prints and making your own copies.

This would be a breach of copyright as the photographer owns the copyright unless it is explicitly signed over to someone else.

If you want to make prints then you need a letter from the photographer either assigning all rights to you or allowing you to make copies.

The way the Tesco sign is worded implies that it is the customer's responsibility to ensure they have the correct permission to make copies. I don't think they would refuse to print images from a card or CD but if you turned up with an album or a print in a marked card frame (a bit like the type school photos come in) i think you would be refused.

So be flattered that they thought your pictures were of professional quality but annoyed that they didn't believe you.

I photographed a friend's wedding last year and gave him an album with the pictures in. Later on I posted the negatives to him with a letter assigning all rights to him so he could get some prints done locally. Without it he would have had trouble getting them done.

Steve.

Last edited:
In my local Asda the printing machine is customer operated. No staff involved.

A couple of years ago when I was using jessops online print service.. well the one where you download the software... they sent me an email asking me to prove the pics where mine because they where from football matches... I showed them my website.. gave them my club details to confirm club photographer.... Never heard a peep from them after that and all printed..

I agree with OP .. I cant think of a single way you could prove to ASDA that the pics are yours unless the people in the pictures come along wiht you.. Even a signed letter from the people in them is useless as I could write that and ASDA would be none the wiser...

A couple of years ago when I was using jessops online print service.. well the one where you download the software... they sent me an email asking me to prove the pics where mine because they where from football matches... I showed them my website.. gave them my club details to confirm club photographer.... Never heard a peep from them after that and all printed..

I agree with OP .. I cant think of a single way you could prove to ASDA that the pics are yours unless the people in the pictures come along wiht you.. Even a signed letter from the people in them is useless as I could write that and ASDA would be none the wiser...
Totally agree. I guess there is some commendation due to ASDA though for at least making an attempt to protect the interests of copyright owners. As flawed as that maybe.

How do they determine what is professional just by "looking" at the images. Just another load of legal litigation "fear of" nonsense. I doubt a professional would even contemplate getting Asda to process digital images.:bonk:

Get your granny / grandad to take them to take them in, I doubt they will bat an eyelid at them.

Last edited:
I agree with OP .. I cant think of a single way you could prove to ASDA that the pics are yours unless the people in the pictures come along wiht you.. .

Exif info print showing camera serial number - as in my earlier post no. 31.

Or have somebody take a picture of you taking the pictures?

Exif info print showing camera serial number - as in my earlier post no. 31.

Or have somebody take a picture of you taking the pictures?

From my experience of supermarkets/most technology stores (cough PC World) their staff have no technical know-how. :bang:
Taking the EXIF might be the best way and confuse them with your technical jargon!

i sent a email to asda head office and waiting for reply on what they require from togs as proof of ownership of images and will let everyone know what they say

People I've taken pics for have had similar problems at Costco & other places.

I now give everyone a CD with my logo printed on it. On the CD there is a pdf letter providing permission to print and a jpeg of my business card.

I do understand why they do it, but it is a pain if you need some prints quickly.

Back