Aston Martin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I've never shot a car before, so this is a first for me, and to be honest I'm not really interested in cars either.
I think the images are alright (not as good as I'd hoped though) but really not qualified to comment.

So it's over to the good folk of TP, to please rip to pieces and tell where I could improve.

800pxMBP4313.jpg

800px-_MBP4430.jpg

800px-_MBP4262.jpg

800px_MBP7914-2.jpg

Firstly, thats one very nice car!

Personally i think for a first go, they are all very impressive :clap:

I'm yet to try this sort of photography however...my dad recently bought a VXR8, so i do really need to get out. :D

I like them all. The only thing I would probably pull them up on is in numbers 1 and 3 the car is parked on a bit of a hump in the ground. To me that makes it look a bit like its 'run aground'?

Infinitely better than I would produce though, so im probably not in a position to comment :D

Very good set, crisp and clean with good exposure.

In the 2/3rd image I'd be tempted to crop out the sky.

Thank you all, confidence suitably increased, cheers (y)

I like them all. The only thing I would probably pull them up on is in numbers 1 and 3 the car is parked on a bit of a hump in the ground. To me that makes it look a bit like its 'run aground'?

Yep, fair point, thanks for pointing it out :)

Very good set, crisp and clean with good exposure.

In the 2/3rd image I'd be tempted to crop out the sky.

True, it does work quite nicely without the sky. I won't post crop though, as I'm a bit anal about keeping to the 2:3 ratio :bonk: silly I know !

Thanks every one for your input, much appreciated. :)

very nice and a very nice shiny aston.......

prefer the slightly higher view point of 3 over 1.........

will also offer £500 for the number plate of "6"....... :LOL::LOL::LOL::shrug:

I've never shot a car before, so this is a first for me, and to be honest I'm not really interested in cars either.

Well I suppose if your going to start somewhere, you might as well start with something nice !!!

What a car, I really like the shots, #1 to 3 for me, don't really know why, but #4 just doesn't seem to do it for me, esp when comp to the previous 3. Think #1 is my fav, :clap::clap:

Think you might have missed a couple of 00's off and then probably no where near :LOL::LOL:

Great shots, if I could make any recomendation, take a tub of water, paintbrush and clean the tyres, it will make a big difference, and yes the car looks grounded in one shot, that would be an expensive sounding scrape were it to happen.

Paul

You haven't mentioned the use of one so I am wondering if a circular polariser was used?
if not then it might have come in handy as the car is so shiny it picks up a lot of reflections. It may have helped tame them a bit as in some shots its quite distracting.

LOL, you need to get out more :LOL:

Great pics of a stunning car (can you really get a bad one of this motor?).

Love the 1st one the most though ;)

very nice and a very nice shiny aston.......

prefer the slightly higher view point of 3 over 1.........

Beautiful shots of a beautiful car.

Well I suppose if your going to start somewhere, you might as well start with something nice !!!

What a car, I really like the shots, #1 to 3 for me, don't really know why, but #4 just doesn't seem to do it for me, esp when comp to the previous 3. Think #1 is my fav, :clap::clap:

Think you might have missed a couple of 00's off and then probably no where near :LOL::LOL:

great shots !

Thank you all :)

Great shots, if I could make any recomendation, take a tub of water, paintbrush and clean the tyres, it will make a big difference, and yes the car looks grounded in one shot, that would be an expensive sounding scrape were it to happen.

Paul

I did bring water and sponge/bucket, but you're right a toothbrush would've been useful too.

When I scouted the sight it was dry and hadn't really thought about wet sand in the treads :bonk:

You haven't mentioned the use of one so I am wondering if a circular polariser was used?
if not then it might have come in handy as the car is so shiny it picks up a lot of reflections. It may have helped tame them a bit as in some shots its quite distracting.

I did use a circular polariser, but depending on how you rotated it, you either got rid of the glass reflection or the paintwork reflection. I suppose I could do a PS comp of the two. Would be interested to know what other people do.

I did bring water and sponge/bucket, but you're right a toothbrush would've been useful too.

Desat and slight burn might make the sand less obvious on these versions.

I did use a circular polariser, but depending on how you rotated it, you either got rid of the glass reflection or the paintwork reflection. I suppose I could do a PS comp of the two. Would be interested to know what other people do.

Serious car photographers composite polarised versions in the same way you might composite flash shots. Sometimes that isn't practical so it's down to instinct and output that determine where you turn the cpl. I tend to use it to cut down glare on the glass so the driver/ interior is visible.

Paul

That was the only thing I could see when I looked at the images, the dirt on the tyres, its probably the detailer in me that notices stuff like that.

These are really good, as noted the 'grounded' effect is detracting from one.

A quick serious question, what are the colours in the headlights from?
I was thinking either reflection from the indicator lens or some type of refraction but on some it can be seen in the far headlight too, not a criticism, I'd just like to know.

Paul.

These are really good, as noted the 'grounded' effect is detracting from one.

A quick serious question, what are the colours in the headlights from?
I was thinking either reflection from the indicator lens or some type of refraction but on some it can be seen in the far headlight too, not a criticism, I'd just like to know.

Paul.

Refraction in the curved headlamp cover, captured/ emphasised by the use of a CPL

I can only hope to half that good one day, except i do agree about the hump in the ground and the tyres.(y) :banana:

just a niggle
dont have any car mags to check ..but

isn't it more usual to have the front wheels pointed towards the camera rather than tucked under the wheel arch.?

Thank you all for your comments. Going to try it in a multi storey soon should be mud free :)

just a niggle
dont have any car mags to check ..but

isn't it more usual to have the front wheels pointed towards the camera rather than tucked under the wheel arch.?

I did a quick google before the shoot and all the ones I saw were facing this way so copied them :)

just a niggle
dont have any car mags to check ..but isn't it more usual to have the front wheels pointed towards the camera rather than tucked under the wheel arch.?

No, treeman's googling served him well.

Thank you all for your comments. Going to try it in a multi storey soon should be mud free :)

I did a quick google before the shoot and all the ones I saw were facing this way so copied them :)

Grass and multi-storeys are the two biggest no-nos for car locations. Just about acceptable to use the top floor of a car park if it's open deck and has an unmissable view. Try a B-road with good visibility (so other drivers have plenty of stopping time).

Refraction in the curved headlamp cover, captured/ emphasised by the use of a CPL

An anomoly caused by plastic lenses (on the car, not the camera), pics of my car are the same, with or without CPL

Paul

Back