Astro photography - Norfolk/Suffolk, UK

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I have recently been looking into taking photos of the milky-way, i have d800, 16-35mm lens and a decent tripod.

Can you let me know where to go to get decent photos? I've recently tried to take some photos in the back garden. But even though i thought it was very dark i'm still getting too much light to see the milky way.

I can upload a photo if this helps of what i got?

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Norfolk/Suffolk that is dark enough to take these sort of photos?

Thanks

Ben

Yes, do post the shots you have on here, with the EXIF data.

Kelling Heath in north Norfolk hosted a Starparty in September so I guess it is fairly dark, but it is a good distance from you.

http://starparty.las-astro.org.uk/index.php

I have not tried the Suffolk coast for star photos but south of Orford on the path by the river looks as if it could fairly good. Felixstowe is to the south west but the outlook to the south east looks good.

Dave

Hi Trina, I'll get some photos up later. I used 30 sec f9 ISO 3200. I'll have to give Oxford a go. Maybe incorporate the castle??

you'll want to be at f/4 iso 3200 30s minimum to see any amount of stars, also the number one thing when it comes to astro stuff is location and weather. It's best to be cold and clear, you have to be far from lights too.

2-1024x481.jpg

I spent a fair while in Norfolk/Suffolk this year whilst covering holidays.
Some shot worked others...Well didn't

Here's a few.

Straight up trees
by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

Straight up trying to see how many stars there were. That was in Quidenham

Weybread Lake

This one was at weybread lakes.

Moonrise

Another one at Quidenham

untitled

This one at Greyfriars at Dunwich... Spoilt a little by the light from the lighthouse at Southwold

Love the one at weybread. What settings were you using?

As has been said for milk way or for the matter any starscapes (non-Startrails) your really looking at shooting wide end of your aperture so f/2.8-4 usually and a high ISO, the reason for both is that you want to get as much light to your sensor as fast as possible (y) and the stars are as a rule very dim...

Your going to ideally be shooting as 3200 plus ISO basically you look to go as high as you can comfortably use for your camera, on the 5D3 I'm more than happy at 6400 and if need be I can go to 12800 without to much concern

Also to avoid star trailing you can use this general guide 600 divided by your focal length give your shutter speed you can shoot too without noticeable trails (eg. 600 / 16 = 37.5s)

Matt

Love the one at weybread. What settings were you using?

I was testing a hired Tokina 11-16 2.8.
I think this was shot wide open ISO 3200 and around 30secs. Trying to time in between the light from the lighthouse.

The important thing is having something in the foreground or you end up with something like this (Although the Shooting star was a little jammy)

Which could be just a dirty wall.
This was a 50mm shot at 1.8 for 15 secs. Thats the difference a fast lens makes

Locations for astro photography? This is a good place to start looking along with this one for the weather, take a little time to understand metcheck and it will be your go to weather site

Back