Astro shot - Heart nebula

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
The Heart nebula - Or IC1805 to give it the correct designation - lies some 7500 light years away in the Perseus Arm of the Galaxy in the constellation of Cassiopeia. Easy to see why it's called the Heart nebula I think!

This image is a mosaic of 12 panes stitched together in order to get the complete nebula in the frame. Each pane was 5 exposures of 20 minutes each and then stacked and processed. It was stitched using PTGUI - What a great piece of software. All in all, this is 20 hours worth of exposures.

IC1805 in Ha (12 pane mosaic) by swag72, on Flickr

Nice one...

I don't think we have had 20 hours of clear skies this entire year in the UK...

Beautiful emission nebula limage, lovely pinpoint stars and great detail in the nebula's structure. A great piece of astro imaging.

The Heart nebula - Or IC1805 to give it the correct designation - lies some 7500 light years away in the Perseus Arm of the Galaxy in the constellation of Cassiopeia. Easy to see why it's called the Heart nebula I think!

This image is a mosaic of 12 panes stitched together in order to get the complete nebula in the frame. Each pane was 5 exposures of 20 minutes each and then stacked and processed. It was stitched using PTGUI - What a great piece of software. All in all, this is 20 hours worth of exposures.

Gobbledygook, gobbledygook to me but a good photo nonetheless.

Thanks for you comments folks.

Not too gobbledygook Vaughan!!! 12 images stitched together (like a pano) and each of those images is made up of 5 separate 20 minute exposures - See, easy!!!! (y)

Unbelievable!
You certainly get the results for all of your effort.

Absolutely stunning Sara, incredibly beautiful and superbly captured!! :)

Here you go again Sara, blowing my mind!

Great work as always.

Lovely image Sara, and I have to say, a deep sky mosaic sounds such a major pain... Lunar ones are bad enough. What scope and camera did you use ?

wow what a shot

Thanks John and Scott.

@John - I used the Atik 314L+ and Pentax 75SDHF - That scope's giving me a 500mm field of view. That camera chip is tiny!!

Stunning.

Thank you one and all - Really appreciate you looking. I am currently working on some colour for this one, but it will only be the middle pane of the nebula, not the whole lot!

Brilliant, love those shots

Thanks Spence and John - It was time consuming to say the least!! While the pnaes themselves only equate to 20 hours of exposures. At least that time was taken in balancing all the panes up and stitching them together.

After a discussion with Sara, and to attempt to put the Heart nebula and the FOV into perspective, Sara agreed for me to post a link here...

I caught the Heart neb in my widefield image of the Cassiopeia region the other night shot at 50mm with the EF 50 f/1.4. The Heart Neb is the red patch on the left hand side of the image, about 1/3 down. The red patch I managed to chop in two is the Soul Neb.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=4986042

Back