Astro shot - Rosette nebula in colour

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Commonly called the Rosette or Rose nebula, this is approximately 5000 light years away in the constellation of Monoceros (bordering Orion). It is estimated that this nebula is 2 million years old.

This is a total of 10 hours worth of exposure time. Hope you like it :)

Rosette nebula (NGC2237) by swag72, on Flickr

I love these shots well done:)

love it! Would love to try this sort of photography, but have nothing close to the right gear :(

Very nice. Would love to do this!

Thank you all for your kind words (y) I'm glad that you like looking at the astro images that I post as they're a little out of the ordinary for TP!!

How do I go about this? I have a mount that is capable of being guided to track a star and keep it in the same place for hours. This allows me, with my telescope and mono astro camera to take an exposure of perhaps 20 minutes (Yes, a shutter speed of 20 minutes!! 1200 seconds!! - Rather different to daytime photography shutter speeds!!). I take lots of these pictures, through different filters then stack them one on top of the other to increase the data (It's very faint) then mix it all up in photoshop.

Last edited:
I've always wondered about the amazing colours in these astro-photography shots. Are they natural or the result of the photographic process itself?

I think that much of the colours are probably created in photoshop and we create images that are the 'norm' - Saying that though, the stars are probably about the right colours and the nebula is red when viewed in Hydrogen alpha.

Again, thank you for all your kind words (y)

Love the detail you manage to capture Sara, i'm genuinely in awe of what you do!!!

Back