Astro shot - Sh2-115 and Abel 71 in mono

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Sh2-115 is a faint emission nebula cataloged by S.Sharpless in 1959. It is located in Cygnus, just 1 and 2 degrees northwest of Deneb, the brightest star of that constellation.

Abell 71 is the designation of the small round patch of emission nebulosity to the upper right of Sh2-115. It is also known as Sh2-116 and PK85+4.1. The latter being designated as a planetary nebula, but it has more recently been described as a small patch of emission nebula.

This is a combination of 11x 30 minute exposures taken with a filter that only picks up Hydrogen Alpha bandwidths. In total this is 5 hours and 30 minutes worth of data.

Sh2-115, Sh2-116 (Abel 71) by swag72, on Flickr

I'm always amazed by these pictures. 1) Finding what you want to take a picture of and 2) The amount of time it takes to capture the image.

Well done.

Thanks all - Regarding finding the object, I have to admit that is all down to the mount being able to 'goto' - So that bit's quite easy! I know I'm talking it down, but regarding image capture, that's all set up and runs while I'm asleep!!

There, no secrets left now!! :D

I have no idea what you said in your introductory piece, Sara :D
But stunning as always (y)

Simply Stunning.... Awesome image!!!

:eek: WOW! Is that a planet at about 1 O'clock? Or is that the planetary nebula? I too had no idea what you were saying. Way over my head, but brilliant.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike - At 1 O'clock is a the planetary nebula. This is the result of a star exploding, nothing to with planets, so don't know why they have that name.

Back