Astro shot - The Bubble nebula

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry for all the astro shots, but this really is my interest these days!

NGC7635, The Bubble Nebula also known as Sharpless 162, and Caldwell 11, is approximately 7800 light years from earth. It is about 6 light years in diameter. NGC7635 lies in the constellation Cassiopeia. The powerful stellar winds from a Wolf-Rayet Star create the sphericial bubble.

This image is a combination of 25 hours worth of exposures, each exposure being 30 minutes long.

NGC7635 Bubble nebula in Hubble palette by swag72, on Flickr

An amazing image, it blows my mind to think its 6 light years in diameter.

Very nice Sara, and very HST too ;).. (Ha, Oiii and Sii ??).. sadly out of reach with my SLR and the scopes I have, if I could actually see the sky...

An amazing photograph.

One question.

What does that look like when viewed through the same scope with the naked eye?

I live in an area where there is so much light pollution I struggle to see anything like that with my scope (actually it's my son's but he's usually in bed by the time the stars come out :nono:).

Even the bigger nebulea that people say you can see with binocluars are invisible.

D

In my naivete, I always thought that these photo were fashioned by 'artists impressions' or the Hubble telescope or something. Only now do you realise the effort and work that goes behind them. All I can say is WOW. Gob well and truly smacked :notworthy:

Thans everyone for your comments - It is very gratifying to show people what is up there around them that we can not see.

@John - Yes HST and mixture of Ha, OIII and SII - Hope the skies clear for you soon.

@David - I don't think you'd be ablt to see this target, even under a nice dark sky unless you had a bit of a monster scope!

@Christine - It's all pretty much automated, so once it's set up and running by 2300hrs, I go to bed and the scope and all the other bits do their thing then switch off at a preset time.

I suppose this is very much an artists impression, in that there is no way it will ever look like this, it's just due to channel mixing the different filters in photoshop!! Sounds very dull!!

Back