Aurora Storm

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Well what can I say, the best Aurora I have ever seen last night, so grabbed the camera and headed out. I was blown away by what I could see... I can't really say much other than wow and how the photos just don't do it justice, being out and meeting /bumping into other like minded aurora hunters was great too. Seeing the pulsing was immense. All these are taken with my 600D and kit lens... yes just bog standard 18-55, one or two with a Samyang 8mm borrowed half way through the night. The locations were the Braighe Beach, Dal Beag Beach and the Callanish Stones all on the Isle of Lewis.

Callanish Glow
by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Stone Aurora

Dancing Light

Will add more when I get home from work :)

Fantastic shots showing the colours really well. Excellent location to see it too...

Would you mind sharing your settings/exposure times etc?

Hi Mata,
Those shots a truly brilliant images ( and I speak as someone who has been short listed twice for APOTY ) - not only a reasonably rare event but the choice of foreground is totally spot on. Excellent work - I'm full of envy !!
James

Number 1631 with the stone circle is stunning! How did you light up the stones?
Number 1655 too!

I refuse to comment as jealousy has overcome me :LOL:

Great images, 4,5 & 6 in the last set you posted are superb!

Haha thanks guys, just wish they would happen like this more often ;)

Lighting was with an LED Lenzer P7, crackingly power full wee torch.

A scene ibwont be forgetting anytime soon!

Great photos, especially like 1631, do you just use the p7 for lighting?

cheers kellett

1631 is cracking. The other fisheye shots are a bit too "fisheyey" for me. Callanish must have been busy - I've seen a few from there.

I've been kicking myself for not having the guts to leave the show and drive 30 mins to either the Stoer lighthouse or the ruined Ardvreck Castle on Loch Assynt. I would have had much more interesting pics as a result but was so spellbound I didn't want to move from my beachside spot.

Thanks, yea I thought I would give the fisheye a go, got a few good ones but yea I don't think I am too keen on the effect. Yea was a great night! I had already got a few snaps on the beach before a mate turned up and we headed over and then bumped in to another fellow togger so was good crack... Just needed the picnic to go with it :D

Fantastic set of images, I think its great how you have also captured the stars too

Superb set, really wish I could have got out with my camera.

Cheers

Neil

Back