Autumn Fruits

That is stunning! To my, inexperienced, eye it looks very well planned, worthy of being reproduced in oils on canvas!

Hi Ryan.

This gets my vote too. That pomegranete is the icing on the cake your drawn straight to it with your well thought out composition.

Gaz

Excellent, lovely still life shot, that must have a taken a lot of prep and consideration. Well done.

Looks great. Reminds me of Takashi Amano Aquascaping/Iwagumi sort of stuff...

Simply beautiful. Very well done.

I like the composition and the lighting, very painterly. Are there any tricks to share when working on the arrangement?

Are there any tricks to share when working on the arrangement?

first of all, "go to the source" - study the original still life work in oils on canvas... Loads of resources out there about general compositional theories - like anything, learn "the rules" then learn how to bend/break them.

Second - don't just "stuff a bunch of things on a table and move them about till they look nice" - make sure every item in the picture has a "reason" to be there - in the above picture it's "autumn fruit" - so a Strawberry would have looked stupid on there. Similarly, the whole arrangement wouldn't have looked right on a white marble kitchen-top with silver grey tiled backsplash. It's about a "harmonoius whole" - often the best way to ensure this is to almost "script" the picture - as if it was a key-frame from a movie - give it a back-story.

Of course, I'm guessing you're more thinking about tricks with photographic hardware... Well - biggest thing I found in shooting this stuff was to shoot "tethered" to a laptop, with a live view of the composition on screen facing me, while I moved the actual subjects around until I was happy - and did the same with moving the lighting around, as I was using proper studio flash heads with modelling lights, so I could see everything before I ever pressed the shutter.

first of all,...
I prefer the first frame of thinking, both are really useful. Compositions I think are obvious to those who know and only a hunch when you don't....I haven't explored it yet, will do at some point

If I've learnt something this early on in the day I'd call it a successful one, thanks.

Back