Avon NOT Rhein

The wettest winter I can remember, and I've seen 8 decades so far.

If we've had 20-days without rain since October I'd be amazed.

I'm expecting that food prices will rise as farmers have been kept off the fields for months and anything already planted will be struggling. So UK produce will be in short supply, this in conjunction with loss of produce from other parts of the world (Ukraine for example), there is sure to be pressure on pricing.

The weather has also taken a massive toll on the roads, with potholes either appearing or becoming bigger. Even newish road surfaces near to us have failed, with 'full thickness' potholes that get bigger as everyday passes.

As a golfer, I've barely been able to get out for winter league rounds as our home course has been closed more than it has been open. Similar story for most of our local courses, even today.

The only upside is that having been a fairly mild winter, heating/energy bills have not been as ridiculously sky-high as they might otherwise have been.

Can you think of any subjects that might look "better" in dull conditions?
Maybe not be make subjects look 'better' but if you wanted to do a series to show people or record what the winter/spring of 2024 was really like? show the effects of climate change in your local area (of effects of bad weather if you don't believe that stuff) I was reading a bit of text about Paul Grahams Great A1, and he was leaning into typical British conditions for the project or you look at marc Wilson who has sold a good ton of books that features almost always overcast scenes

Yes, perhaps "better" is not the best choice of adjective.

For me certain subjects suit certain weather conditions better than others. I've been working up to my own post on this but golden hour light is preferred by many photographers for their landscapes . The warmth of golden hour light gives an attractive glow to the subject, although I've rarely found it particularly pleasant myself.

In my opinion other subjects suit or need flat, even lighting which gives a more objective appearance to landscapes with no distracting shadows or high contrast problems.

Back