Avro Vulcan

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Just a quick shot I took on a compact, and done a little bit of editing this morning...I think it looks a little "moody" but woul like to try and make it even more so...

Still not quite so sure about it....i'd like to bring the sky out a bit more, but unsure on how to do it...I use PS CS3 if anyone can advise?

45267_10150251722890198_538400197_14632339_7869605_n.jpg

C&C welcomed

(Sorry it's just off a compact :p)

Looks like similar weather I got on two of my 3 visits to shoot the Vulcan at Carlisle
1st thing I would clone out the signs... then make an adjustment layer (Levels) and tweak the slider to darken/lighten the bits you want
then using the brush tool brush over the bits you want to lighten/darken leaving intact the darkened/lightened bit you created with the adjustment layer
now flatten the image

personally I was so dissapointed with my 2 efforts in the pouring rain I got lucky on my 3rd visit with lovely blue sky and wall to wall sunshine resulting in far more pleasing images
cheers
Chris

Horizon needs a little straighten but I like the perspective - being the UK's past nuclear threat deterrent I always prefer the Vulcan shots to have a moody and sinister feel about them!

Buttkicker - Thanks for the advice, I shall give that a go later and post the results. I'm going to head back today and get some more pics as the weather is great....

gman - Thanks, yeah I prefer the moody look too, but feel it could get better with the adice above.

Thanks guys.

Here's my wee attempt at an edit, I tried to go for the moody and slightly dated look? Not sure if it works.

Vulcan%20edit.jpg

And as usual here's what I did...

1. Cloned out the signs, fencing and clutter on the right side and also under the centre section of the Vulcan

2. Alien Skin Exposure 3 plugin / Colour Film / Cinema / Techicolor Process 4 Faded (not quite sure what this does but it seems like this increased the contrast a little and bleached it a little)

3. If you have Photoshop CS5 then use the Quick Selection Tool to highlight the sky - takes a matter of seconds with this fantastic tool! If not then highlight just the sky (including underneath the Vulcan).

Keep the sky selected for the next few adjustments.....

4. Image / Adjustments / Levels

5. You'll see how the left side of the graph starts in the centre, so you are losing out on lots of dynamic range here so drag that left slider along to the right until it reaches the start of the graph (the value will be about 90 or so)

6. The sky needs to be desaturated a little now so Image / Adjustments / Hue/Saturation and bring the saturation down until desired.

That's all I did really. :)

That's all I did really. :)
and turned into a complete Turd:LOL:
sorry Gman it has turned into a mish mash of noise.. doesn't work at all for me

having said that the sky has not much definition to work with - as I said in my earlier post I think a revisit in better weather is whats in order if possible

I always think a tight crop from a low angle works well on large aircraft

Here's my edit:

45267101502517228901985.jpg

Lifted the shadows, desaturated the sky a bit, added a gradient to the sky and finished with a vignette.

and turned into a complete Turd

How charming Buttlicker, you've been taking those internet bravery pills? So...why have I turned into a turd? I understand that you have an anal fixation but no need to try and convert me as well ;)

On with being serious and with the photo, as said I'm not sure it works but as it was a small and low res photo so I figured the rough look was the best route to take. Looking at it again and I'm still in two minds.

Is it possible to get a directly head on shot of this?

Saying it was turned into a turd is a bit harsh lol.

I've been down today and got more shots of it, i'm going to work on editing it tomorrow.

I took a couple of head on shots, but the Solway Aviation Museum sign gets right in the way and blocks out the front undercarriage.

gman - If you would like the full high res image, drop me a PM and i'll email it over.

love the original "Moody" look, mind i do have a thing for Vulcans (not the ones from star trek!)

Back