Axminster Town v Newton Abbot Spurs

It's not the best pitch and it's better than some of the other grounds we've played on! That's grass roots football for you. I usually process between 30-40 images for the club web site and I know I should pay more attention but I really don't want to spend all day on my computer. That's my excuse anyway :)

It's not the best pitch and it's better than some of the other grounds we've played on! That's grass roots football for you. I usually process between 30-40 images for the club web site and I know I should pay more attention but I really don't want to spend all day on my computer. That's my excuse anyway :)

It doesn't take 30seconds to straighten the images, No really excuse at all for not levelling them off to be honest, Grass root or premier league you can keep them straight in camera if you hold it level ;)

I use a monopod so pictures are level when taking. I blame the sloping pitch :) we only have another two home games so will endeavour to try harder. Next season we will be playing at out new flat pitch.

On a side note we had a ground hopper watching the game who travelled from Crewe to here in East Devon. Just a mere five hour drive each way for Step Seven football!

No offensive mate but just look at the people in the background on that second image and the way the chairs are, you can tell thats caused by the camera not being level, even the tree is growing off to the side, Just saying :)

They are all straight. Blue rope in 1 is horizontal, chimney pot in original 2 is vertical, the white post and the fence post in 3 are vertical, goal posts in 4 are vertical, no way to tell in 5 except the pole holding the rope but that might not have been put in straight.

They are all straight.

Simply no, there not.

They are all straight. Blue rope in 1 is horizontal, chimney pot in original 2 is vertical, the white post and the fence post in 3 are vertical, goal posts in 4 are vertical, no way to tell in 5 except the pole holding the rope but that might not have been put in straight.

Just look at the bush and the people in the background on the second image, There is no way you can tell me thats straight, and for the others well....I'am not even going there no way off getting the point across so I'am out of here :):whistle:...

Last edited:
You may want to level 2,3&4 as it looks like there playing on a very steep hill ;)
You can't make a sloping pitch into a flat pitch at grass roots level of football. Some of the clubs would like to but it would cost too much money. If it's sloping then it is "sloping" and we have to live with it.

Great pictures by the way Andrew.

Regardless of whether the ground slopes or not, 1 and 2 have background distractions - bloke with dog, chairs and standing spectators. Those do nothing for the pictures. I prefer the others.

Regardless of whether the ground slopes or not, 1 and 2 have background distractions - bloke with dog, chairs and standing spectators. Those do nothing for the pictures. I prefer the others.

Sadly at most football games there are spectators even at grass roots football and there is very little you can do to avoid it.

Maybe they should just ban spectators from grass roots games and then that would solve the issue of "there's distractions in the background" (I don't think so)

If you know the pics arnt right.. why are you even publishing them.. let alone posting in a photogrpahers messageboard for critique? seriosuly... if you know they arnt right you should fix or bin.. not post them saying look at these everyone!

I agree with your comments about background.. seems silly wanting spectators out of the pic:) Dont agree wiht your cant be bothered spending the time to straighten them..

If you know the pics arnt right.. why are you even publishing them.. let alone posting in a photogrpahers messageboard for critique? seriosuly... if you know they arnt right you should fix or bin.. not post them saying look at these everyone!

I agree with your comments about background.. seems silly wanting spectators out of the pic:) Dont agree wiht your cant be bothered spending the time to straighten them..

I'll take that onboard next time but I am not a pro photographer and working shifts it limits my time. The pitch slopes heavily so do I make the images look false? I am sure some people are less critical and don't comment? But like to view pictures for what they are unlike your poor spelling on this forum? There is such a thing as spell check! I seriously wish not to offend but we all aren't perfect?

I'll take that onboard next time but I am not a pro photographer and working shifts it limits my time. The pitch slopes heavily so do I make the images look false? I am sure some people are less critical and don't comment? But like to view pictures for what they are unlike your poor spelling on this forum? There is such a thing as spell check! I seriously wish not to offend but we all aren't perfect?

Professional or not, if you cant be bothered to straighten your images to make them look better and get the levels correct. Then it degrades your images. Just saying, But I know its like trying to get though to a brick wall so to speak :) Its all Critique helping you improve your images but you just wont have it...

OMG Seriously.. you place pictures on here for critique.. you dont like the critique and just want poeple to look and not comment.. and a person who does try to help you.. you atatck for bad spelling ? Have you any idea how childish you are coming accross.. I try to help and you attack me for my spelling?

Last edited:
OMG They are straight. Look at the vertical in the backgrounds :banghead: Give the guy a break.

try reading the whole thread ... point totally missed there fella ..as for give him a break.. do you mean dont try to help ?

I really do give up this tyime :(

I have,seems you haven't. The op has clearly said that the pitch is slopped. If he'd made the pitch level in #4 the goal would be leaning to one side. Bushes aren't true vertical, goals are ;)

With grassroots pitches, you do sometimes get slopey ones but whether the pictures are straight or not, please take the advice given with politeness. I disagree with the spectators comment, although at grassroots, you could move. But the best thing to do is widen your apeture and wait for the action to come closer. That way, the dof will make the spectators less of a distraction.

Once you get the hang of football photography workflow, then simple things like straightening and cropping will become second nature and take seconds.

On a mod note, please don't criticise member's spelling, it is a photography forum.

With grassroots pitches, you do sometimes get slopey ones but whether the pictures are straight or not, please take the advice given with politeness. I disagree with the spectators comment, although at grassroots, you could move. But the best thing to do is widen your apeture and wait for the action to come closer. That way, the dof will make the spectators less of a distraction.

Once you get the hang of football photography workflow, then simple things like straightening and cropping will become second nature and take seconds.

On a mod note, please don't criticise member's spelling, it is a photography forum.

Apologies are in order to Kipax for my ridiculous posting, sorry. I failed to get my point across with regard to the image level on a sloping pitch (I use a monopod when shooting football and rugby) and I should of accepted the critique more graciously. This hopefully won't be a problem as we are moving to a brand new ground for the 2014/15 season with perfectly flat pitches. We have two remaining games both on two different uneven pitches and if I post on hear I will pay more attention with the levels.
Can I say one other thing Kelly? I am new on this forum but have been posting on other sites for some years and I do have a workflow which suits me and I am not a novice. I take your comments with good grace and thank you all for taking the time to look at my pictures or post any comments.

Once again apologies to Kipax and any others that were offended.

No worries.

Can I be nosy and ask what your workflow is. It's just that I'll process a match in Lightroom in about 40 minutes. I take on average 600 photos (a lot I know) and will whittle this down to 40 something to ftp over to the club. Sorry if I offended you, I thought by the way you had posted, I assumed you were relatively new to it.

And I also use a monopod, don't think I'd cope without it. Yet I'm still constantly straightening in post :LOL: I find I tilt a lot when swivelling in my seat and forget to adjust my posture :D

The unfortunate thing with grassroots is that you will have just one or two supporters or cars and houses etc in the background. And the pitch will be uneven and the goalposts half the time aren't competely vertical. The trick is to know what to do to make this less obvious. I go from shooting Championship on the Saturday to Sunday League the next day. I often stand there and rue the lack of stadium etc etc

I'll have a look at your photos when I'm on the laptop, it's difficult to have a proper look on the phone

No worries.

Can I be nosy and ask what your workflow is. It's just that I'll process a match in Lightroom in about 40 minutes. I take on average 600 photos (a lot I know) and will whittle this down to 40 something to ftp over to the club. Sorry if I offended you, I thought by the way you had posted, I assumed you were relatively new to it.

And I also use a monopod, don't think I'd cope without it. Yet I'm still constantly straightening in post :LOL: I find I tilt a lot when swivelling in my seat and forget to adjust my posture :D

The unfortunate thing with grassroots is that you will have just one or two supporters or cars and houses etc in the background. And the pitch will be uneven and the goalposts half the time aren't competely vertical. The trick is to know what to do to make this less obvious. I go from shooting Championship on the Saturday to Sunday League the next day. I often stand there and rue the lack of stadium etc etc

I'll have a look at your photos when I'm on the laptop, it's difficult to have a proper look on the phone

I use Aperture and Nik Software's Dfine and Sharpener Pro then keyword players names etc and crop if needed. I tend to take anything from 80 to 160 photo's and whittle them down to about 30 to post onto the clubs website and one or two to other places. I do get asked occasionally by the players why there are no supporters in the background (not the ones posted here) and I do tell them it is distracting. That should be less of a problem at our new ground as two sides of the pitch is surrounded by hedgerows, the other has the clubhouse/grandstand and finally where I'll be sat is where the direction of the sun shinning on my back. I'm looking forward to the new facilities :)

Back