Critique Baby candid portrait

He looks a really happy little chap and you have done a great job in capturing his happiness.
A couple of comments,the background is a bit odd,would be better if it was plain.
The catch lights look like window reflections with a person ? Standing in front

What Chris said. A few steps to the right (if you had that) to get a turn of the head rather than square on. Shift the camera left a bit to get rid of that red seat(?).

It also looks blurred - even on clickthrough to Flickr.

You’ve caught his character brilliantly, and that’s the ‘difficult’ part.

But your ‘photography’ fails on a few fronts. Unfortunately it’s OoF, the neckline on the sweater is sharper than the eyes. As a portrait photographer that’s rule no1.

Then as has been mentioned, the background is distracting, including the broken first rule of landscape, you’ve included a dominant colour that’s not your subject.

Thirdly, as above, the person in the catchlight is slightly distracting.

So, you’ve got the difficult part right, now to work on the easily fixed photography mistakes.

Thank you for the feedback.

He looks a really happy little chap and you have done a great job in capturing his happiness.
A couple of comments,the background is a bit odd,would be better if it was plain.
The catch lights look like window reflections with a person ? Standing in front

It is a window but I think it's showing the trees outside?

I know I hate the background, it is distracting. It's a pop-up ball pit tent and there was also a long red outline on the left (which I removed).

It's a bit hard being in a small room full of toys and him running around haha.

You’ve caught his character brilliantly, and that’s the ‘difficult’ part.

But your ‘photography’ fails on a few fronts. Unfortunately it’s OoF, the neckline on the sweater is sharper than the eyes. As a portrait photographer that’s rule no1.

Then as has been mentioned, the background is distracting, including the broken first rule of landscape, you’ve included a dominant colour that’s not your subject.

Thirdly, as above, the person in the catchlight is slightly distracting.

So, you’ve got the difficult part right, now to work on the easily fixed photography mistakes.

Thanks.
I always try and focus on the eyes and I thought they were in focus :(
He's 13months so no chance of sitting still but I'll definitely try and get better focus on the eyes.

Last edited:
Just a heads up if you pop onto the Lencarta web site they have a sale on at the moment and have got some background stands that may be of interest.
I got one for £18 the other day and its now down to 15 ,its quite good for the money.

Just a heads up if you pop onto the Lencarta web site they have a sale on at the moment and have got some background stands that may be of interest.
I got one for £18 the other day and its now down to 15 ,its quite good for the money.

I have a backdrop/stand but it's all in storage. I was just practicing candid/lifestyle shots. I'll have a look at what on offer, thanks.

Back