Back off!!! ... No!!

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Sorry,I'm back again, I had another trip out, wet early start, but the deer picked up activity with the light lifting.

Thank you for looking.

Happy to take any Crit or feedback as always.

1/500 - f5.6 - ISO 16,000 - 600mm

Stag Rut Brace by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Stag Rut Clash by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely pair of images, I can almost hear the crunch!

Great poses Gav :)

But I can't help thinking they could do with warming up a tad.
warming filter (85) & levels tweak in CS5.
If you don't like it say so and I'll nuke it.

Gav's-edited.jpg

Fab dynamic images Gav, well taken.

I think the warmer tones in Chris's edit does enhance the images.

Lovely pair of images, I can almost hear the crunch!
Thank you, Jak :) some thing about the noise gives me a headache :LOL:
Great poses Gav :)

But I can't help thinking they could do with warming up a tad.
warming filter (85) & levels tweak in CS5.
If you don't like it say so and I'll nuke it.
Thank you, Chris :)
These were taken at 7.45am just after rain, I like to copy what I had seen, but I agree a warmer image does add something to it :)
I will take another look at them and start from the RAW files again (y) (I've only used Affinity Photo but I'll play with the levels)
No need to nuke it, I'm always happy to see how others would had done things :)
Thank you for taking the time for the edit and feedback :)
Fab dynamic images Gav, well taken.

I think the warmer tones in Chris's edit does enhance the images.
Thank you, Steve, I will take another look at them :)
Your efforts are being rewarded with some amazing pictures Gav.
Thank you, Keith :)

Great and very action packed pictures Gav. I agree with the idea of a little warming, but maybe not quite as much as in the example?

On the whole though, great pictures and well done :D

Another image, tweaked some levels, are they enough? does it need to be brighter? Happy to hear any Crit' :) thank you (y) (I'll work the others again soon)

Stag Rut Clash 2 by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr
I prefer the originals to anything else. Looking at the low sun through the trees, I presume you took the images early morning or dusk, and to me the colder tones reflect that perfectly for the time of year. The warmer tones don't work for me personally.

Great and very action packed pictures Gav. I agree with the idea of a little warming, but maybe not quite as much as in the example?

On the whole though, great pictures and well done :D
Thank you, Alan (y) I'll keep playing around with them :)

Last edited:
I prefer the originals to anything else. Looking at the low sun through the trees, I presume you took the images early morning or dusk, and to me the colder tones reflect that perfectly for the time of year. The warmer tones don't work for me personally.
Started before 7am, these were 7.45am and cloudy (just after the rain) with the sun just coming up behind the trees, bugger all light, ISO 16,000! :LOL:

Another image, tweaked some levels, are they enough? does it need to be brighter? Happy to hear any Crit' :) thank you (y) (I'll work the others again soon)
Looks about right to me Gav :)
However, if the ( 1st set of) images are as you saw them, and that's what you were aiming at, then fair play to you (y)

Looks about right to me Gav :)
However, if the ( 1st set of) images are as you saw them, and that's what you were aiming at, then fair play to you (y)
Cheers Chris :)

It was bleak this morning, some silly high ISO's before these :LOL:

I like to be honest with my images, don't use AI etc, I just like to show it as I took it, but I like to try things the way others would like to see them, I'll give them a look and add them here soon :)

Quick question .. I've never thought about it before, should I be hiding the lads 'lipsticks'?
TBH I never noticed it until you mentioned it.
And most likely a lot of others also.
Don't worry about it :)

I like the 2nd image a lot , but actually think your too low here , had you the option of standing / kneeling to make you higher , I think it would of improved the outcome . I would be cautious warming them up too much , it plays havoc with how the grass colour looks in my experience . It`s nice to have variety , but the side on view seems to work very well in Rutting Deer .

I like the 2nd image a lot , but actually think your too low here , had you the option of standing / kneeling to make you higher , I think it would of improved the outcome . I would be cautious warming them up too much , it plays havoc with how the grass colour looks in my experience . It`s nice to have variety , but the side on view seems to work very well in Rutting Deer .
Thank you, I was gutted the ground level dropped, it was all so quick. I agree on the side shots, only just got them both in :)

You've done well with these. Fights at this stage of the rut are often over quite quickly. Sometimes they can be just too far out, other times far too close especially when you're trying to get the two in together sideways. Whenever I've found two on top of a hill they often cover a lot of ground when fighting and usually always end up disappearing down the other side of the hill resulting in a deer with no legs! I captured so many like that before.

Started before 7am, these were 7.45am and cloudy (just after the rain) with the sun just coming up behind the trees, bugger all light, ISO 16,000! :LOL:
That's why I like your originals, they are true to the moment in time.

You've done well with these. Fights at this stage of the rut are often over quite quickly. Sometimes they can be just too far out, other times far too close especially when you're trying to get the two in together sideways. Whenever I've found two on top of a hill they often cover a lot of ground when fighting and usually always end up disappearing down the other side of the hill resulting in a deer with no legs! I captured so many like that before.
Thank you, Rob. It was all over very fast, I'm shooting prime too, so my legs got a work out, we did see a few wrestles that had no legs but decided just to watch.
Woburn had the deer tour running today, I'm sure they had rounded most of the deer to the middle, I'm probably wrong but didn't see many on the public right of ways.

Back