background size question

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
How does one decide the length of vinyl to purchase? Is it simply a case of adding height + train, or do you need to leave a bit extra on the roll?

I was thinking of a 2x5m as it's about £10 cheaper than the 2x6m, but would hate to regret it in the future. Does anyone use a 2x4 or 2x5 roll, and what are your views?

I have much bigger than that, because I want my subjects to be as far away from the background as possible.

Oh righty

Max space I have is 5x5m with ceiling 2.5
I can support a 3m roll but I don't think I'll be doing portraits of more than 3 people so didn't think I'd need over 2m. Regarding the length, is the maxim long is better always appropriate here. Can the excess be left wound on the roll should I need only a little?

Regards
Steven

Oh righty

...Regarding the length, is the maxim long is better always appropriate here. Can the excess be left wound on the roll should I need only a little?

It doesn't last forever so, whatever the width, get as long a roll as you can... then you can cut the worn end off when it gets tatty and roll out some minty fresh new!

Oh righty

Max space I have is 5x5m with ceiling 2.5
I can support a 3m roll but I don't think I'll be doing portraits of more than 3 people so didn't think I'd need over 2m. Regarding the length, is the maxim long is better always appropriate here. Can the excess be left wound on the roll should I need only a little?

Regards
Steven

Don't forget that even though the width of the background may well be 2m, but the width of three people, once you have moved them away from the background, will mean that their arms, heads etc will be "off" the background from your shooting position. I'm not sure I explained that very well... Does that make sense?

Ideally you'll want to put them at least a metre, preferably more, away from a high key white background and you'd like to get a couple of metres minimum between you and the subject, so I would allow for a floor length of min 3 to 4 metres from front to back and then as much height on the background as you can... Ours goes up around 3.5m too. Width, I'd would suggest 2.7m as it will sit with the standard paper rolls on an expan hook system.

Back