Critique Backlit Buzzard on the wing

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
It's not often that I get close enough to a Buzzard in flight for it to fill the frame !
The sun was low in the sky so as to provide a nice backlight , which required some lifting of the shadows in PP, overall I am happy with the overall effect.

At 700mm with the TC a I think the focus is a bit soft and if given the chance again I would have removed the TC and moved the focus point to get a snappy eye ?

As always I appreciate all comments in my quest to improve !

22-01-2023 Buzzard no watermark.jpg

D500 + 500PF + 1.4TC HH 1/1250 f8 auto ISO

Buzzards are great birds and make cool subjects.

I like that you can see the eye, this is a must really with wildlife.

The colours/contrast seem a bit flat or muted I would check levels and tweak them. I think it could be sharper. It's a bit weighted to the right, the space should really be in front of the bird.
Sometimes, when trying to fill the frame, it's better to step back and give the subject room to breathe, I feel this image is a little cramped. You don't have to fill the frame with wildlife. Somtimes it works but by the same token it's often better to allow space and also to show some muted habitat....but keep the subject the focus of attention. Don't fall into the 'filling the frame' trap, there is no need.

You've made a very decent effort though, this isn't easy to do. (y)

Last edited:
Dale thanks for you comprehensive critique. :)
I should have included the circumstances in my original post - I had just finished a walk and had my camera on the passenger seat as I drove home, seeing this buzzard on a telegraph post, I quickly pulled over, opened the window and took the shots.
Of a rapid 6 shots before it flew away, this was the only one with the bird in frame.
I agree and I normally look to show space and environment around the bird and show it flying into space.
PP is not my thing really and I struggle get the best from LR, however, I will revisit and have a go at your suggestions regarding levels.

Thankyou

Back